Baked Enamel Finish.

Started by jrc4558, February 24, 2004, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Can anyone here explain what it is and how to do it?

BILLYL

Basically it is as follows.

After you have painted your enclosure - with a enamel based paint.  The painted box is then put into a warm oven (110 degrees F or so) for about 2+ hours.  This way the finish is throughly dry and you have "BAKED ENAMEL FINISH"

Hope this helps.

BILL

john3696

I have a similar question.  I buy a small spray bottle of enamal paint from a hardware store, spray the box and put it in the oven for an hour or so at around 150 degrees, I believe this part is alright.  but my question then goes to the holes for the screws, everytime I screw the box together for the 1st time, I get a chip or even a peel from turning the screw.  is there any way to prevent this????

Brett Clark

>>everytime I screw the box together for the 1st time, I get a chip or even a peel from turning the screw. is there any way to prevent this????

It sounds like the surface (metal) isn't prepared properly. The metal must be completely free of all oils, grease, and moisture before painting. Sanding a bit helps, too. You could also try using a primer coat.

BILLYL

John-

To help reduce the chipping what you need to do is re drill the screw holes before final assembly.  The trick I use after I a refinish on a guitar (lacquer paint will have this tendency) is to drill out the hole but with the drill set in reverse.  This way you are pulling out the un-needed paint. Light pressure and let the drill do the work.

And of course make sure your box is nice and clean before you paint and sanded so you have just a little "tooth" so the paint will stick nice a good.

Good Luck

BILL