Thing Modulator

Started by { antonio }, February 24, 2004, 11:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{ antonio }

I wanted to know if anyone has built the thing modulator.  I have had some trouble with.  I have let it sit for months unfinished.  its about time for me to get it done.  but as i looked at it again tonight i dont see what i have dont wrong.  

i just wanted to see if anyone has finshed it and maybe they could give me some hints.  

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/thing.gif

thanks.
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

brett

Hi.  Sorry, but can't really help with the Thing Modulator.  But I can say that the Ring Frobnicator and most other modulators are less than ideal for guitar work (with the possible exception of the 1496-based designs).  With that in mind, I've been working on a simple modulator.  I've designed and tested the circuit, and have designed a PCB for the final version.  Sometime over the next few days I'll build it on the PCB to test the layout.  If all goes well, in a week or two I'll have the design on my web-page and a notice in this forum.  I'm thinking of calling it the "Modulatron".

Sorry that doesn't answer your question.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Tim Escobedo

mattv

It works great for me. Double check your wiring and connections. Make sure your using the specified LMC567 chip and not the regular LM567.

{ antonio }

tim, could that be the proplem?

i am using an lm instead of the lmc.

i didnt know that would be a big deal.  but thanks for the help.  i will get myself a new chip today and see if that works.

thanks.

Tim Escobedo

Yes, the LMC567 is absolutely necessary if you want the circuit to behave. That includes a reasonable amount of carrier rejection.

The more common LM567 may not even work with the 100k resistor in series with the power pin, as it's much more of a power hog than the LMC567.

Keep in mind that this is no Blue Ringer. The internal oscillator is fairly limited in range and tone. There's no wet/dry mixing. Carrier rejection is fairly decent considering the simplicity. But any high gain effect after the device will audibly amplify the carrier to possibly annoying levels.

{ antonio }

thanks so much for your help.  i am on my way to get the new chip.  

thanks again.

mattv

Quote from: Tim Escobedo
...The more common LM567 may not even work with the 100k resistor in series with the power pin...

It doesn't.

mattv

Anyway, if you can't find a LMC567, just use the LM and remove the RC network from V+. It's noisier this way, but IMO also does weirder things.

nightingale

very cool~
thanks mattv!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com