TBP Not that simple

Started by SM, February 26, 2004, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM

PLEASE â€" Can I bore you with a TBP Q?

I read the FAQ on BOSS TBP.
I did a search and read twelve pages (interesting thread on Cornish and “Case against TPB”…).
I’m still no wiser, unfortunately.

BTW I modded my Cornish Hot Cake with a 3PDT to get TBP:) I solved it by removing the original switch and wiring the switch on ON. Leaving the little board, including the LED inside the box.

The BOSS is not that simple - I think? ON/OFF is achieved by connecting to ground. How do I do if I want to proceed as with the the Hot Cake? That is: leaving the BOSS effect always on ON, even if I disconnect the battery and then reconnects again.

ALL input is greatly appreciated!

Bjorn

smoguzbenjamin

Boss switching is done with a FET flipflop. If you want to do true bypass with a boss, which IMHO isn't necessary, you have to find where the FETS are that switch on and off, and replace one of them with jumpers, the one that turns the wet signal on or off. Then you can take the circuit board in and outs, and wire those to a 3PDT.

It's not worth the trouble, really ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

RDV

In my experience playing live every weekend of my life since 1982, I really haven't noticed Boss pedals sucking much tone, on the contrary they can even be helpful driving long cables. I did have one Boss chorus pedal that wasn't too hot, but all the rest of them have worked fine. If you'd like a Boss pedal with true bypass, you could build one as easy as you could TBP an actual one.

Regards

RDV

smoguzbenjamin

RDV's right, If you want a boss pedal with true bypass, all you gotta do is redraw the schematic without the FET switching :)

SM

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminRDV's right, If you want a boss pedal with true bypass, all you gotta do is redraw the schematic without the FET switching :)

:)
Thank you! Why didn't I think of that in the first place...

PS
The FET looks like a regular transistor?

Bjorn

RDV

Quote from: SMThe FET looks like a regular transistor?
Yes. But on the schematic it will look like this.

Regards

RDV

smoguzbenjamin

I remember being totally confused at first, I got a FET and a bipolar mixed up and I couldn't figure out why my EA trem wasn't working :mrgreen: lol