Officially Lost

Started by duffrey, February 28, 2004, 01:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

duffrey

Thanks for all the help  guys.  
After reading the Java Boost thread, about not even being a working schematic, I figured I'd learned so much about these pedals, trying to make this one work when in reality it never will, that I would design my own version.  So I did.  Yesturday, and I printed the layout out from Express PCB, and with in an hour I had a working rangemaster.  Complete with negative ground wiring, pull down resistors, tone control, and a three way input cap switch that doesn't pop when you switch it.  Oh, and still kept the trip pots for biasing the tranny, which works perfectly.  And it all fits inside a hammond 1590A box!  With 3PDT switch and all.  It still needs some tweaking though.  For example, I didn't have a 470K resistor, so I took 2 220Ks put them in series, and then 2 68Ks that I had left over from a wah mod, put those in parallel, and got a nice 467K resistor according to the DMM, which is actually probably closer to 470 than most 470K resistors.
Sadly though, the only amp I have out right now is my flextone II, so I do not get the full effect.  Plus I believe that this amp has an input limiter, or buffer of some sort, because when I turn the pedal up past 3 all it does is get more saturated, no louder.  So I plugged it into the effects loop, (don't ever try this, it sounds BAD) just to see if the pedal was actually amplifying all the way through the pots motion, which it was.  
Now I have to hurry up with refinishing my cab so that I can fire up the big guns and hear this thing through a real amp!
Again thanks for all the posts.  

Jeff

petemoore

Like I say IIRC the solution to neg ground PNP stuff is conversio to pos ground PNP...I never understood that...why of the 'neg' ground PNP, haven't heard anything 'good' about it, see no reason for it...well if you HAD to have it on the same supply rails as a NPN circuit...only thing is, I haven't heard that anybody actually figured out why it doesn't work or how to make it work.
 I would look at the rangemaster article at GEO...there's a schematic in that article that I use as a guide...
 I forget who said thay like the VOX, but I whipped one of these up, from the treble Boosters site with the May info...that's one fine booster, , I used a PNP Ge...oh and instead of the 2X  2k2's I put a 5k pot, then trimmed that down with a 'tagged' on resistor between lugs 1 and 3 to set the bias...works great...sorta like a volume control but changes tone some too...pretty much leave it set in the middle..not recommended as necessary or anything but I leave it on there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.