Stereo Guitar!

Started by sfr, February 29, 2004, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I just finished wiring my SG up as stereo, using the schematics at the Rickenbacker sight (although I swapped out 250 pots for 500's to play better with my humbuckers)  

I've got to say - if you've got a guitar you don't making some new holes in, this is totally worth it - if for nothing else than you get to use two of those many boosters/distortions I'm certain we've all got - so it doesn't seem quite so silly next time yr thinking about building another one. . . Heck, you can effectively double your pedal board (I hope you have a powersupply!) w/o getting your original tone too lost!

I can't explain the coolness that a lot of my old effects that haven't had batteries on them for years take when you start mixing and matching them between the two halves of the stereo setup - if you've played with parrallel signal chains, then you know what I mean - but combined with the timbral and character changes of each side of the stereo spread coming from a seperate pick-up, things really get cool!  (and heck, you could even use parallel signal chains in combination with this, for a quadrophonic setup!)

I've been playing more rock oriented music again, and it's real fun to put the two practice amps on either side of the room, and EQ them to different tonal ranges with a different distortion box, for a really thick sound - I'm using a BC109 Fuzz Face on my neck pickup for bassy, singing tones, and a tweaked Dist+ with the mids scooped a bit and just a little too much high end on the bridge pickup, and while each tone is a bit limited on it's own, they fill up the space very nice - Sabbath riffs are sounding great.  Clean, It's jangly-pop heaven, and it's phasers and what not make really interesting tones as they counteract with the sound coming from the other side of the room.

So yeah, I'm a bit excited, but for everyone in search of the perfect tone, I'd seriously recommend it.
sent from my orbital space station.