help! help! T~T i need mxr-distortion+ <<real Schemati

Started by Copy-Hide, March 01, 2004, 07:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copy-Hide

help me!!!! T~T
i very need the MXR-Distortion+ so real Schematics!

who music man have real mxr-distortion+ plx copy the Schematics
to me thx

Dan N

Chris Goodson

I just sold an old one on ebay the other day and one thing to note is that the originals did not have 1n4148's in it.  They were germanium.   It had no 4m7 resistor either.  I don't recall seeing any film caps being in it, they were ceramic.  Also,it had tantalum electrolytic's instead of aluminum electrolytic.
I understand that some of these things might not matter, but the one I built following the instructions on GGG sounded a lot different than the original one.  It didn't sound bad, just not quite as warm sounding.  
So, I changed everthing in mine to match the original and when I was done they sounded very close...

MarkB

Well - we all know about the tolerance/consistency of MXR products throughout the years, right?  Pretty good chance that your pedal differs greatly from other years, production runs, etc...

The Dist+ I built by the GGG schematic sounds like a Randy Rhoads era Dist+...  very good sounding.. I kinda forgot how cool and useful they are.
"-)

Fret Wire

The originals had 1N270 germanium diodes, ceramic caps (.05uf .01uf .001uf), tantalum electrolytics (1uf @35v), 50k log output, 500k rev log dist., and the 741 IC. They did have a 4k7 resistor. Are you thinking of a second 4k7 they added later for the LED?

For the original sound, stick to the 1n270 diodes, 741 IC, and original resistor and cap values. The cap types don't really matter, use metal film for caps and resistors (1m, 10k, 4k7) if you want. They changed output pots a few times, but 50k was the most consistant.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

slajeune

I have an old one lying around.  I'll open her up tonight and let you know what I find inside it.

Cheers,
Stephane.

RDV

I hated mine till I put some geraniums in there,....and a nice vase. :shock:

Regards

RDV

Copy-Hide

i make ggg & tonepad mxr dist+ before but this fx sound not the same For the original sound T~T,i have used all ceramic caps & tantalum electrolytics ??????????but the diodes i used 1n4148 & 914 & 34a but sound not the same For the original sound T~T why why why.is  there only that 1n270 diodes can produce <<original sound>> such sound????????? :shock: is there other alternative 1n270 diodes???????
<<plx tell me plx>>

MarkB

Smallbear has 1N270 diodes for 1.50 each..  $3 to get a perfect original Dist+ sound is pretty reasonable.
"-)

Mark Hammer

1N270 diodes are germanium.  Two 1N60 or 1N34 should be able to produce the same tone.

If the one you made does not sound *exactly* like an original you heard, that is because all the parts used have a *true* value that is probably only within +/-5% of what it *says* they are.  All pedals made with the same component values will be a little bit different unless you make a big effort to use precision-value components.

MarkB

hey Mark... does +/-5% qualify as 'close enough for rock n' roll' ?
"-)

Fret Wire

Quote from: Mark Hammer
If the one you made does not sound *exactly* like an original you heard, that is because all the parts used have a *true* value that is probably only within +/-5% of what it *says* they are.  All pedals made with the same component values will be a little bit different unless you make a big effort to use precision-value components.

That is so true Mark. You could treat one like a vintage amp that sounds good and test the components to find the magical "tolorance shift". But that wouldn't sound the same with everyone's guitar/amp combo. If you stick to the basics on this pedal, you'll get the original sound. BTW, if you have a Dunlop reissue, putting in the 1N270's works nicely. They're located right under the distortion pot.

MarkB: I've been using one for over 20 years and still think it's one of the best distortions out there.

Here's where I get my 1N270's:  
http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=1340&cgrfnbr=697&ctgys=503;520;697;

Here's some pics of an original pedal:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mw252001/album?.dir=/MXR+Dist.+Plus&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mw252001/my_photos
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

RDV

Quote from: MarkBSmallbear has 1N270 diodes for 1.50 each..  $3 to get a perfect original Dist+ sound is pretty reasonable.
"-)
That's what I did also. That circuit only sounds good with Ge diodes IMNSHO.

Regards

RDV