Ring Stinger.

Started by sirkut, March 02, 2004, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirkut

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. With the tradition of sharing, I got a bro in ann arbor that has a ring stinger. He's going to be giving me some hi res photos of both top and bottom of the pcb of his ring stinger, and will give me a detailed list of the parts where legible. I was wondering what else would I need to get him to do other than taking closeup photos?  I dont know about you but I really want to get a clone of this pedal.

psst

Quote from: sirkutI dont know about you but I really want to get a clone of this pedal.

Dude, I DO want a clone too!!!  :D

Keep us updated!!!  :wink:

gurutzeta

Agree with psst!!!

Please keep us updated

axr

also some pics of the pots and wires could help

Joep

Let me know if you need help reverse engineering. That;s my favourite part!

Bye,

Joep

Marcos - Munky

I like to clone it too. Pics of the board, copper, wires, pots and maybe some voltages will help.

sirkut

Great that there is some interest in this. I'll be getting the pics sometime in the next few days. The only problem is I'll have to talk to him about taking voltages, that'll be the hardest part considering he is in a different state as me. I can't wait myself either!

petemoore

Sometimes the wires are hard to sort out from a photo...knowing which one goes to the middle lug, or more detailed accompanying wiring text...
 Hopefully the pot values are marked.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ExpAnonColin

You know, if you really look at the device it wouldn't be that hard to make a workalike.

It's an old-design pattern, with 2 transformers and the diode "ring".  In order to get the guitar up there, I'm sure there's some sort of an input boost, probably an op amp.  The VCO wouldn't be that difficult, especially if you could live without the sine and sawtooth waveforms.  An LFO would be as simple as a schmidt trigger/integrator pattern driving an LED to an LDR to the frequency pot.  The timbre control is just a tone knob.

-Colin

swt

i'm also in for that schem!!. Let me know if i can help.

psst

Quote from: JoepLet me know if you need help reverse engineering. That;s my favourite part!

Listen to Joep, Sirkut, his works are VERY nice.

psst

BTW, Sikut, I would welcome a scanning of the manual, too.   :wink:

sirkut

Actually Joep's response gave me a warm feeling inside!

petemoore

From the title it sounds like a Ring Mod Fuzz. ?
 Well whatever it is it's a cool title, and I too would like to take a look at this one!!!
 Thanks, and have a great 'Retro'!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gurutzeta

Quote from: petemooreFrom the title it sounds like a Ring Mod Fuzz. ?
 Well whatever it is it's a cool title, and I too would like to take a look at this one!!!
 Thanks, and have a great 'Retro'!!!

you can listen to it here http://www.lovetone.com/ringstinger.html

Gripp

Count me in as very interested!
Now if I only could get my lazy *** to order some VTL5c3's so I can get get going on the mcmeat...
Best!
/Pelle Garpebring

toneless

I tried to build a classic ring modulators once but with no luck... :(
I really hope this schematic will be online.
Please don't forget to learn anything you can about the transformers!!!

sirkut

Well, due to certain circumstances, I won't be able to receive those photos sooner than I thought. On the other hand, I'll be taking a trip to Michigan to do a few shows, while I'm there, I'll be personally be taking a load of pictures and measurements of the ring stinger. That will be form the 15th to the 18th. Expect sometime after that some results! Just wanted to keep you posted.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

For a ring modulator using a transformer & "diode ring" approach, I believe it matters a GREAT DEAL how well the diodes are matched (depending wha\t you wnat to do with ti musically, it may be that perfect matching is not the best, of course).

brett

You also need to very accurately balance the two "halves" of the transformer output (not easy), otherwise you get heaps of modulation signal through.  Foir this and similar reasons I gave up on a transformer-based modulators and designed a switched "balanced" modulator - the Modulatron, mentioned in earlier threads.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)