News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

The Spyder

Started by New Frontier, March 04, 2004, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Frontier

Hello All

Has anyone ever built "The Spyder" transformer ?? How hard is it to be built ?? And, can anyone tell the maximum number of secondary coils can be wound ?

R.G.

QuoteHas anyone ever built "The Spyder" transformer ??
I have.

QuoteHow hard is it to be built ??
It took me about an hour total. It's not too hard.

QuoteAnd, can anyone tell the maximum number of secondary coils can be wound ?
As a practical matter, only about eight. You have a fixed amount of space for wire to go on the bobbin, and so if you want four windings in the space that used to do one, you have to use wire 1/4 as big. Thinner wire is available but you reach a point of diminishing returns because the wire resistance goes up a lot as the wire gets small.

I recommend that people with no experience with transformers to buy several HiQ 12Vac/0.06A transformers. Mouser sells these for $2.76 each, and $2.29 each if you buy ten. $22.90 for ten of them. That's as compared to $14.00 for a flat pack transformer that you then have to rewind. The several transformers approach is bigger, but easier and just a little more expensive.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

New Frontier

Tks R. G.
I thought it would be easier to buy 8 little trafos, but the Spyder sounded very interesting !! It saves a lot of room and

Well, my brother is studying Electrical Transformers and at this time he is winding some transformers, so, I think he can do it..
How did you isolated the coils ? Did you put some kind of tape ??

niftydog

Electrician tape or PVC tape works fine.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

R.G.

OK. Be really, really careful to NOT disturb the primary sides of those bobbins.

I used #38 wire as I remember, and did not isolate the secondary windings from each other at all. The voltages are low, and wire insulation is enough. I put a layer of tape over the whole outside of the secondary part for insulation.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.