Quietest silicone transistor

Started by jrc4558, March 04, 2004, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

What would be the quietest silicone transistor, n-p-n, to use in a fuzz face type cirquit?

The Tone God

I think you mean silicon unless your trying to make a fuzz out of breast implant although that would be cool but I would get rid of the fuzz part. ;)

Andrew

P.S. I'm a silly mood again.

smoguzbenjamin

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

David

I've heard that the 2N5089 would fit that bill...

Triffid

Doesn't the 2N5089 have too high of gain for a fuzz face?

RDV

Quote from: TriffidDoesn't the 2N5089 have too high of gain for a fuzz face?
I've used 2N5089 for Q2 & 2N4401 or 2N2222 for Q1 with very good results. That low gain stuff seems to matter more with Ge FFs.

Just an Opinion

RDV

petemoore

With biasing a transistor can be made completely silent. Disconnecting the collector from the circuit will yield similar results
 Using fancy low tolerance resistors is said to lower bias noise.
 Large resistors may make noise too sometimes.
 Mosfets run real quiet, but I never had luck with those in FF Q1.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nightingale

hello~
i would just steer clear of the 2n2222's... in my experience they are pretty noisy... plastic, or tin can..

as suggested by gus, the 2n4401's are pretty good for SI, FF's... i also built a YAFF with them and it was great.. had loads of fuzz for a FF type circuit..
hth,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

R.G.

The MPS A18 has the lowest noise figure of any US made device for the audio range that I've seen. However, it's not all that good for FF circuit.

There may be some Euro or Japanese devices with better characteristics for this.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

brett

In Si Fuzzfaces, there's a relationship between gain on Q1 and noise.  You can lower the gain (and noise) from Q1 by putting a small (e.g. 22 ohm) resistor on the emitter, or by reducing the 33k resistor on the collector. (I've tried everything from 10k to 150k on the collector of Q1 and 33k is a good compromise for gain and noise, but from memory lower values were quieter).

As RG said, MPSA18s are very quite.  2N5089s are quiet, too.  Their problems are high gain.  Therefore, it might be worth trying them, but with a small value emitter resistor.  Just a guess, really, but might work well. :?:  

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Zito

Wow. Fuzzy boobs

I wonder if it would be like an old car radio!

Push one in Fuzz On, Push the other one in Fuzz Off.

Now that's a reason to play bare foot.

jrc4558

OK, here we are. I tried Jack Ormans Mos-Face. All the 2nxxxx stuff hisses like a preying snake. However!!!
If you use a BC547b for Q1 and drop the collector res to 51k - she's quiet.
Not idealy quiet, but better that with say a 2n2222.

Any ideas on how to make it more quiet? I want silence between notes, while there's still a conciderable amount of hiss.

Thank you all.

PS. And yes, fuzzy boobs...  :twisted:

Aharon

Did anybody try the 2N2369 when building a YAFF?
Aharon
Aharon

Triffid

I built a Silicon Fuzz Face with BC108's and it is quite as can be.  Here is the thing though...

1. It wasn't quite until I put it in it's aluminum house
2. It got much better when I added input and output pulldown resistors
3. I can quite it up even more with the bias (50K input) pot that I added

Hope this helps

jrc4558

jrc4558

nightingale

ahron~
i built my 1st yaff with the  2N2369.. and it sounded really good. the ones i found had the big tin can package.. the fuzz was very touch sensetive, and "spongy" sounding...
only problem that it was barely louder than unity when switched on, but at that time i was playing it full time.. using the volume to clean/saturate my tones...
hth,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Aharon

Hi Nightingale.
Those tin can ones are the ones I got.
The other ones are MPS2369 I believe.
The cure for your problem is to add another stage,for example,put your MosBooster after the YAFF.
I call it the YADDA(YetAnotherDistortionDerivativeAgain!)
Aharon
Aharon