Source for MN3009 or MN3209 BBDs?

Started by idiotcountry2, March 04, 2004, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idiotcountry2

Yeah, I know, good luck finding them...

ANyone know of a source (new order used) for a few MN3009 or MN3209 256-stage BBDs? I need a couple to replace a TCA350 which is even more scarce.

Thanks for any pointers,
tom

puretube

will have a look if some TCA`s are left from a string-synth repair some years ago, but will take some days - might have been 590`s...

ExpAnonColin

(EDIT) The MN3207 is pin compatible, which would double your delay time so you're going to want to half the capacitor value on the clock generator... which might work, just an idea.

-Colin

Lurco

I think idiotcountry2 (strange moniker, sorry-no offense) knows what he is asking about. (256-ers).

The MN3000-series weren`t born at the time the TCA`s saw the daylight in various string-synths and other devices.
The Boss/Roland-company didn`t exist yet at that time, I think.

He might be refurbishing a real old-timer.

Fret Wire

Quote from: LurcoI think idiotcountry2 (strange moniker, sorry-no offense) knows what he is asking about. (256-ers).

Thanks for reminding me. I replied to the wrong BBD thread. BTW, an easier way is to simply just say, "we're talking about 3009's and 3209's, not 3007's and 3101's. Check out some of the 5 pg. flame threads and you'll understand what I mean.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Lurco

Idiotcountry seems to want to replace a TCA 350.
Since it`s almost impossible to find one of these,
he also alternatively looks for a 3XX9 series (short delay),
which I presume, he is able to adapt to working
in his circuit.
Now don`t go make the world mad by stating something like
"it is pin-compatible".
To notice in this thread that some NTE is a workalike of the 3007
doesn`t help here, either

ExpAnonColin

Eek, sorry, I was just suggesting something.  Sorry.

-Colin

Dan N

Hey, http://www.ionpool.net/index.html is cool!

Excuse me, I must get back to the "Giant Internet IC Masturbator".

Don't come in my room without knocking first!

idiotcountry2

Yeah, the idiotcountry2 moniker is taken from a song title... Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, yes, something close to the original TCA part is ideal. 256 stages is probably the limit, as I'd rather not do major surgery on the circuit in an attempt to eliminate any increased clock noise. Since Panasonic stopped production on the BBDs only two or three years ago, it seems someone has purchased ALL remaining stocks. Very odd as all the 'usual suspect' chip brokers cannot source any - except from China. The 3207 mihgt be  a different story and I know they are currently in production. But the 3209s are a different story...

So, still looking for about three of them :)

tom

Lurco

Hey, have you tried here?:

http://www.organservice.com/thomas/thomas.htm

they seem to have them for less than 38$ a piece.

peace!

idiotcountry2

Yes, I have seen that webpage. Unfortuantely, their TCAs are in a TO77 package (not a DIP) so that added hassle of adapting *might* be too much. Then again if I can't find any suitable replacement I might just go that route ;)

I should probably check some organ shops though...

tom

Fret Wire

I tried hunting for you, but no luck. Maybe different search inquires will bring something up. Although not always the best place to buy, you can't rule out ebay when looking for a hard to find item. Here's an example below (not what you're looking for), but he seems to know what he has, no bargins here. Some smaller shops may have a few in the backroom, never hurts to ask.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=member1274979&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Dan N

My Crumar Performer has 3 350's. You might be able to find an old Crumar for less than what new chips would cost.

puretube

Quote from: puretube on March 04, 2004, 04:56:59 PM
will have a look if some TCA`s are left from a string-synth repair some years ago, but will take some days - might have been 590`s...

OK - has been almost 2 years, but I found the 3 TCA350 chippies mentioned before...

any takers? (maybe they need testing, first, though...)

(concerns this thread, too: http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=35923.0 )