Soldering Iron Woes

Started by Deep Blue, March 05, 2004, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

I have a really nice orange Weller soldering iron, and recently, due to corrosion and my own stupidity, the tip snapped off.  The threaded part is still stuck inside, so I can't just put in a new one.  I can't get to it with pliers because it is in too tight and it just a bit below being flush with the surface.

I really can't afford another one.  Is there something I can do?
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

ErikMiller

You might be able to get the stub out using a screw extractor. This may be found at your local hardware store.

Aharon

MAybe file a slot into which you can put a screw driver or use an extractor if you get one.Also you may have to drill into the tip and then take it out.
Good luck
Aharon
Aharon

Xlrator

Drill it out then use an EZ-OUT.
Listen to cKy!

petemoore

Try the screw extractor...
 Then try JB Weld, with a shank the just smaller than the bit you used to drill into it with [a drill press?] glue a hard metal shank into the hole or whatever surface you could get to clean up, possibly put on vaseline carefully so the JB doesn't get on the threads...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Sic

see if you can find a really small REVERSE thread screw, and just drill a starting hole, then screw in the reverse thread screw.

/shrug

might be too much trouble, or not work, but what one of those "BING, idea!" kinda things