I'm in love....

Started by ExpAnonColin, March 07, 2004, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

...with 1590S's.  Never going back to those too-shallow-too-normal-looking-too-big 1590BBs or the too-shallow-too-skinny-too-normal 1590Bs.  1590S's look really good, it's easy to fit batteries in them underneath the PCB, and there's just more space in general for excess wire.

I'm a 1590S user... are you?

;)

-Colin

javacody

what are the specs on that type of box? Where can I find photos?

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: javacodywhat are the specs on that type of box? Where can I find photos?
length x width x height:
Inches : 4.35 x 3.21 x 1.57
mm : 111 x 82 x 40        

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1590S.PDF

-Colin

Brian Marshall

i like the low profile of bb boxes.  I dont find them too shallow at all, although, wouldnt mind some wider and longer boxes.  I am working on a project that will have at least 8 pots when im done, but probably more like 10 or 11.  I dont think i can fit it in a BB box.

Peter Snowberg

I have a lot of plans for 1590S boxes on paper, but I haven't bought any yet.

Some others worth looking at are:

1590C (tall version of the BB)
...and for those who like lots of knobs...
1590J
1590D
1590DD

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Brian Marshalli like the low profile of bb boxes.  I dont find them too shallow at all, although, wouldnt mind some wider and longer boxes.  I am working on a project that will have at least 8 pots when im done, but probably more like 10 or 11.  I dont think i can fit it in a BB box.

You can't fit a PCB and a battery in the same spot in a low profile box, meaning you need more room for less stuff.  It's really a waste of space, and 1590BB's are painfully boring to look at since so many effects are made in them.

-Colin

RDV

I bought a bunch of them off eBay while they were cheap. I like em' a bunch. Great for boxing up messy ass perf projects. I've got a Dr. Quacky, EA Tremelo, & a Stupid Box in them. Plenty of room. Highly recommended by me! Now if I could only talk myself into building again. I've got 'builders' block'.

Regards

RDV

Mike Burgundy

QuoteI've got 'builders' block'.

Stack'em up and...

sorry, too obvious, but had to. ;)

RDV

Ive often thought of attaching my faves together to make a sort of multi-effect. Saves on jacks, one power supply input. I just need to come up with a cool way to attach them and a simple little wiring harness with the input, output, and power so I can mix and match and take whatever I'm in the mood to use to the gig with me.

Ideas, ideas, ideas.....

RDV

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: RDVI just need to come up with a cool way to attach them and a simple little wiring harness with the input, output, and power so I can mix and match RDV
well why not take a lead from the DIY modular analog synth guys,
have a number of sub-panels that go in a larger frame with in & out jacks on the front.
You'll need to make it tougher than they do if you puut footswitche\s on it though.

downweverything

Im a 1590F guy gotta love the multiple switchs too many controls and those necessary 2 inch round VUs

Brian Marshall

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalist
Quote from: Brian Marshalli like the low profile of bb boxes.  I dont find them too shallow at all, although, wouldnt mind some wider and longer boxes.  I am working on a project that will have at least 8 pots when im done, but probably more like 10 or 11.  I dont think i can fit it in a BB box.

You can't fit a PCB and a battery in the same spot in a low profile box, meaning you need more room for less stuff.  It's really a waste of space, and 1590BB's are painfully boring to look at since so many effects are made in them.

-Colin

but the 1590s is still a pretty square looking box, and i can fit a battery under a pcb, as long as there arent any big caps on it.... i dont think putting your battery right on the board is a good practice though.  if the battery ever leaks it will be a mess.

R.G.

Quotewell why not take a lead from the DIY modular analog synth guys,
have a number of sub-panels that go in a larger frame with in & out jacks on the front.
You'll need to make it tougher than they do if you puut footswitche\s on it though.
2x6 steel stud, open side support sub panels...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

troubledtom

Quote from: R.G.
Quotewell why not take a lead from the DIY modular analog synth guys,
2x6 steel stud, open side support sub panels...
dear RG,
      i tried the steel stud idea and it works. .................  but,
it takes a lot of time. not to mention cutting yourself on the cut steel .
if i had a brake[tool] i'd make some stuff myself.
    i just perfer pay'n a fair price for an enclosure.  i have them made custom for a great price.
  i'd also like to thank you for your coolness on this forum. you're a very clever and a smart SOB 8) .
             take care,
                  - tom pollock
www.troubledvariance.com