Using Existing Guts

Started by srwolff, March 07, 2004, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srwolff

I want to take the guts from three pedals (Marshall Bluesbreaker II, DOD Phaser, & a digital delay) and put them into one box, with one power supply, and simplify some of the controls.  Is this a fool's errand and, if not, what are some of the issues I'll be facing?  (I'm handy with a soldering iron, but I'm a novice otherwise.)  Also, where can I find a box large enough to accomodate all three circuits?

Thanks in advance!

srw

Peter Snowberg

Welcome srw, :D

I don't think it's a fool’s errand at all. Those pedals should all work fine together. The big places you run into trouble are when you have positive ground effects or there is a transformer involved with one pedal. I like to have all transformers away from the audio path. I would advise just using a good sized wall-wart and connecting all the + battery leads directly together.

For a box, Hammond makes some fairly large boxes. Check out the 1590D and 1590DD. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/617/1012.pdf As a bonus, for a couple dollars more you can get a pre-painted box too. :)

The only other issue is effects order. I don't like to be constrained to a given layout with my stuff, so instead of connecting each effect directly to the next, lead the outputs of the first two effects to Switchcraft #11 jacks and also to the switch contacts of some #12A jacks which are then the inputs of effects #2 and #3. This way you can use a single in and single out cable if you want to accept your "stock" effects routing, but you can also mix up the order with a little patch cord, or you can insert additional effects between the integrated ones.

Hmmm… You might also want to consider using a Switchcraft #12A for the input for effect #1 as well with the switch contact wired to the output of effect #3. That would give you a loop that might create all kinds of odd noises from processed feedback as well as the flexibility to select which of the three effects you want first simply by plugging into different jacks. :D If you plug into any of the #11 output jacks, you keep that feedback loop and get to listen to it too.

Best of luck on your conversion! I hope you can post some pictures.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cedric

that's a thing i do all the time.

keep in mind it's not simple to install a boss/ibanez/otherwise-like switch in a new box then what it's desgined for.

srwolff

Wow!  Thanks for all the great ideas.  I'll take a look at the various specific items you mentioned and dig out my old mouser catelog!

As for switches, I hope to disconnect and remove the switches and pots now in use and replace them with good ones.  Once I open the pedals up I'll have a better sense of what will be possible.

Thanks again!

srw