Distortion+ IC

Started by New Frontier, March 08, 2004, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Frontier

Hello All

I'm building the MXR distortion+ and was wondering if the 741 is too noisy ??
Has anyone tried it ? As anyone tried it using another IC ??

Tkx

RDV

Oh, it hisses a bit, but that chip is in the original. You can use any opamp you want, but that's the original. I also used Ge diodes in mine(like the original).

Regards

RDV

Fret Wire

Quote from: RDVOh, it hisses a bit, but that chip is in the original. You can use any opamp you want, but that's the original. I also used Ge diodes in mine(like the original).
Regards
RDV

Bingo! The 741 and the Ge diodes are part of the original sound. Slightly noisey, but use metal film for the resistors and caps to offset this.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Using half of a dual?
 I've been trying to get a couple going for a week now...no luck...well one boosts real nice but doesn't do anything with diodes.
 the other one I thought was working for a minute but sounds hideous now.
 They're both wired for half of a dual...tried 4558's Tl0xx's 5532's etc.
 Every resistor measured, and replaced, every cap socketted...not that complicated...voltages look good too... :?:  :?: :?: :twisted: :?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: petemooreUsing half of a dual?
For the life of me I think that circuit will only work well with a 741. The limitations of that particular chip(+ Ge diodes) seem to be part and parcel of the sound of a good Dist+. Mine certainly doesn't sound hideous by any means.

Regards

RDV

New Frontier

Tks for all the responses.. that's this forum x-factor compared with all the others..   :D

Well, is there another IC wich has the same pins of the 741 ? So I can socket it and replace the 741 if a want !!

spongebob

AFAIK most single opamp chips share the same pinout, so you can easily replace it with something like a TL071 or NE5534 for example.

Hal

anyone try a burr brown in here?  Thats like totally opposite...HA

Fret Wire

Tonepad has a dual layout for the microamp/dist.+. It uses the 4558. They also have the board for sale. You can build the D+, and try all the dual's you want: JRC4558, TI's 4558, 4559, NE5532, Burr Brown's, etc. Plus all the different diode combos.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=6
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Manolo Dudes

Quote from: RDVFor the life of me I think that circuit will only work well with a 741. The limitations of that particular chip(+ Ge diodes) seem to be part and parcel of the sound of a good Dist+.

I use tonepad's layout for a double op-amp in my Dist+. To my ears, the best sounding chip is the MC1458, that is, a dual 741  :wink:
a.k.a. "Calambres" in www.pisotones.com

Mark Hammer

I followed up on Dave Barber's idea of paralleling op-amps and used a stacked pair of NE5534's on mine (just sit one on top of the other and solder their pins together) and I rather like it.

Fret Wire

Quote from: Mark HammerI followed up on Dave Barber's idea of paralleling op-amps and used a stacked pair of NE5534's on mine (just sit one on top of the other and solder their pins together) and I rather like it.

Haven't tried that yet Mark. I assume your socketing them. Are there any problems with the solder joints breaking when the bottom pins flex to enter the socket? I don't remember if that was discussed on Barber's original thread.

On circuit like the D+, which doesn't take up much space, could the OA's be laid out side by side instead of physically piggybacked?

I'm with RDV, I've always loved the sound of the original recipe. But I ordered one of the Tonepad dual microamp/dist+ boards to see what entirely new sounds that great little circuit can put out.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

RDV

I still want to try my idea of using a dual OA to dreate a dual OD with a Dist+ on one side and Brian M.'s Stupid box on the other, sort of a DIY 'Wayhuge Camel Toe'. Distortion side runs into overdive side with a 3PDT for on/off of each effect. A schem for it would just show two separate effects. But the layout would show them together. A JRC4558 or a 1458 would work fine.

Regards

RDV

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: RDV
Quote from: petemooreUsing half of a dual?
For the life of me I think that circuit will only work well with a 741. The limitations of that particular chip(+ Ge diodes) seem to be part and parcel of the sound of a good Dist+. Mine certainly doesn't sound hideous by any means.

Regards

RDV

+1 :)

-Colin