Supa Tonebender

Started by Echorec, March 15, 2004, 08:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echorec

I know lots of people have got Tonebender clones and board layouts for it. I've also seen multiple schems for the Jumbo, but I wondered if anyone saw a Supa schem? They still have Supa soundfiles on macaris.co.uk, if anyone has a PCB/schem for the Supa, it'd be appreciated. Cheers

Echorec

Mike Burgundy

Uh, that one was the BigMuff with one set of clippers removed if memory serves....(rummage rummage) yup:
http://users.balpol.tudelft.nl/~Burgundy/bin/schem/supaTB02.gif

Jim Jones

Hey Echorec,

I drew up a PCB for that one in Express PCB (from Mike's schem actually...), and lost it in a computer "incident".  (I basically lost every PCB I ever designed - lesson learned!)

I have a paper copy still so I can email you when I redraw it in Express PCB if you like...

It'd be quicker just to use a Big Muff PCB and make the appropriate changes though.

Jim

Mike Burgundy

one note: I've played an original, and these aren't really worth the trouble - sound ok, but not as good as some. Build a 3-tranny TB or a big muff, and don't bother with this one unless you're curious ;)

Jim Jones

Hey Mike,

I haven't played an original myself but I agree with your assessment.  :)

Jim

Arn C.

Sorry to disagree with you guys.  I have built two in the past and my son and I both like them a lot.  I will be building another one soon!

Peace!
Arn C.

QuoteWhen your neighbors dog bites you, bite 'em back!!!

Ammscray

Same here...I have an original and it's easily the best silicon TB that Colorsound ever made, and doesn't sound ANYTHING like a BMP IMO...I play it more than my germanium models...

on another note, the clones I've built of it sound more like the orginal than the Colorsound re-issue of this pedal does, but I have no idea why...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

Jim Jones

I guess it's a just a taste thing.  I don't like Big Muffs either.  :)

Jim

Mike Burgundy

I do like BMP's and 3-tranny ToneBenders. The one-pair-of-clippers setup does sound quite different to a BMP, even if the schem is very similar. To me it's a bit of a one-trick-pony, but then again so is a BMP ;)
If you build one of these, it's fun to tinker with one set of clippers, vs two, and use sockets for all the tone-shaping caps.
actually, the original Supa had room and pads for the second set of diodes, they just weren't installed ;)

Gus

Has anyone built the hot silicon at Doug H's. site.  If so what did you think of it?

Gus