South by South West Festival

Started by uncle boko, March 19, 2004, 08:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle boko

Is anyone going to this festival? BBC radio is broadcasting live from the festival for the first time - for about 8 hours on Saturday.
better to be in bad taste than to taste bad

Joep

If you're going make sure to check the dutch punkband HR, cool guys!

mattv

Not this year, unfortunately. It's a good time for sure though.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Yeah. I live in Austin!  If anybody is going to be in town for SXSW let me know!
Brian.

The Tone God

I won't be there but I would recommend checking out a band called Grady. They have been playing at the Contential Club. They have a great guitarist named Gordie Johnson and SRVs old backing band Chris Layton on drums and Tommy Shannon on bass although Ben Richards might be on bass right now.

Bring ear plugs. I'm not kidding.

Andrew

Tubebass

Is that the same Gordie Johnson that used to be in the Canadian blues/reggae/pop band Big Sugar? If so, I second the comment about earplugs. Big Sugar was the loudest band I've ever seen....thought my chest was going to collapse!
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

The Tone God

Quote from: TubebassIs that the same Gordie Johnson that used to be in the Canadian blues/reggae/pop band Big Sugar? If so, I second the comment about earplugs. Big Sugar was the loudest band I've ever seen....thought my chest was going to collapse!

The very same. This is Gordie's little post-Big Sugar project. I haven't seen Grady in person but I would suspect it is similar to Big Ben if you ever got to catch them.

Andrew

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Eerrrmmmmmmm.....well........my friend's band played a gig with Grady the other night and yeah, they were loud alright but that's about it.
 His "shtick"  wore real thin after the first song and it was down hill from there.  Bad vocals, bad songs, NO dynamics  [beating one "train beat" to death],  etc.   Grady's whole deal  seems to be dropped-tuning slide.  I dunno....I get 100 times more out of Johnny Winter playing "Rollin' and Tumblin' "  any day of the week!
A lot of bands around  here  are a lot  better at doing the recycled  white-boy slide-guitar boogie thing.   [I prefer listening to one of the older black guys doing it, actually.  They don't have to rely on the "volume gimmick" to get their talent across.
Brian.