Stinkin' battery clip...

Started by Triffid, March 19, 2004, 11:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triffid

Any one else have problems with the 9v battery clip holder from small bear?  Mine seems like it isn't quite the right size.  All the 9v's I have seem a little big, the clip doesn't seem to quite fit around it?

Also... I can't get the thing to stay on very well.  I sand both the clip and my box where I attach it and use a super strong metal adhesive and it will still fall off sometimes.  I have seen other pedals (fulltone) that actually have wholes in the box and the clip is attached with a piece of metal... any idea where to get the attachement pieces for this?

Thanks in advance

Mark Hammer

Depending on the match/mismatch between clip and battery-type, I sometimes have to pinch the female connector on the battery snap a bit with my needlenose to get it to grip the battery more positively.

If this poses a continuing problem for you, AND if you tend to use the same battery brand, I might suggest saving up your dead batteries and using them for the DIY battery snaps I show in the article at http://hammer.ampage.org (scroll down).  Its more work than ordering from Steve, but connectors from the identical battery are bound to be a perfect fit, and you can make these things ultra-sturdy.  I haven't bought battery snaps in years.

If you live near a cardiac ward or a university/college that provides extension courses, there can be a ready free supply of dead-ish batteries for this purpose.  Cardiac wards tend to use 9v-powered telemetric monitors, and since you don't want to monkey around with health, they pull the batteries and toss them after a designated period (usually a couple of days since the current drain is low but they stay on 24/7) rather than crossing their fingers and testing them once in a while.  Nurses stick 'em in a box and out they go.  Same for university courses where the instructor wears a wireless and struts around abig lecture hall.  You don't want the FM transmitter pack to go dead mid-lecture, so they also yank the batteries after a few days or weeks' use and toss em in a box.  Get to know the techs in those places and you might come into pounds of batteries like I did.

Triffid

Sorry about that, I was being unclear.... I was trying to refer to the clip that you mount in your effect box to hold the battery in place, not the battery terminal clip used to power the effect.