Tonepad Tubescreamer - Couple of problems

Started by mattshad, March 20, 2004, 02:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattshad

I have just built a tubescreamer using the Tonepad circuit and board. I have two problems.  Firstly the tone control does not seem to be doing much.  I am using a 25k pot for tone instead of a 20k.

Secondly, the amount of volume boost that i am getting seems to be negligable.  I have to have the volume turned up all the way to match the level of the amp when the pedal is turned off.

As for the tone - it is excellent.  I have been accidently supplied with a 250k gain pot - I dont know whether this is contibuting to any problems

brett

Those tone and gain pots should be ok (tho you'll miss out on extra-high gain with 250k - a 1M pot is a better substitution for the 500k).  

You should be getting a major volume boost when turned up.  And the tone control should be doing quite a bit, too.  

An "audio probe" (as described in other threads on the forum) is useful for determining where you are losing signal volume.  Otherwise, it a slow check of all components for values and soldering.

good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)