some things are still free

Started by donald stringer, March 20, 2004, 08:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I took a lead from ansil and tried the texas instruments free samples and they have arrived. 2 cd 4053/ 2 4049/ 2 5532/ 2 4066/ 2 4016/ 2 4017/ 2 rc 4558. They sent them ups ground, next day/  and to top it off i wasnt here to recieved them [it was supposed to be cash on delivery ] but they left them on the back door step. This just thrills the @%*)  out of me. I plan on making that loop switcher on lauriers handy dandy circuits. I guess you can tell it really doesnt take that much to make me happy. But for real that was awesome service.
troublerat

smoguzbenjamin

Yeah, I was also real please with TI's fast service. I got my package within 3 days, no charges whatsoever 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

zener

It's part of Texas Instrument's promotion. They give these for free hoping that someone can make any project that can be another new product in the market. This would result to TI being the supplier of ICs to that "new manufacturer". Free samples can also serve as advertising since you may tell others where those "good-working ICs" came from.

I just hope that their free samples program could work out for them. You can promote them in exchange for those ICs you received
Oh yeah!

smoguzbenjamin

Phorhas

Do they send thier free samples abroad as well?
Electron Pusher

smoguzbenjamin

They did to the Netherlands free of charge, I didn't pay a cent. I don't do it often though. To date I have ordered samples twice, once from TI and onec from maxim.

Paul Marossy

I wonder when they are going to figure out that DIY'ers are getting free samples from them...

Analog Devices sent me some free samples of some OP275 opamps, and I have requested a few samples from TI as well - NE5532s and 5534s and a couple of other ones.

I guess for them, it's just a tiny expense compared to the overall operation costs.

smoguzbenjamin

There was a huge 10-page discussion on this a while back, and I don't want to re-start that discussion, but I don't order samples every week. Just keep it fair and reasonable is my opinion ;)

Paul Marossy

RDV

Today's DIYer may very well be tomorrow's huge corporation.

Regards

RDV

Fatboy Effects

mikeb

Quote from: RDVToday's DIYer may very well be tomorrow's huge corporation.

Noooooooooo........ what a waste!  :D

Free samples (and free love!) for all is GOOD though.

Mike

ErikMiller

Texas Instruments have wisely chosen to support innovation with their liberal samples program.

Having worked for multinational electronics companies, I can say that it's a good idea to get designers their samples with a minimum of trouble.

With TI, an engineer can order and receive them without going through their company's purchasing department, and most engineers hate that kind of procedural red tape.

As far as hobbyists copping a few samples, well, that's just spreading good will. And if one or two hobbyists form companies or go to work for larger companies (say Line 6 or E-H, to name a couple of examples from this forum alone), and they are disposed to think kindly of TI, it's been worth it.

They haven't lost sight of the truth that it's okay to break even or even lose a little money over here in order to keep the overall market for their products healthy.

And we can contrast this behavior with that of one of my local IC houses, Exar. When I was working on the test oscillator I posted recently, I contacted Exar via their www site and via telephone (local call) regarding obtaining one or two 2206's. I told them I was willing to pay, I just needed to get them quickly.

I still haven't heard back from them. I finally found an XR2206 in a tube while helping my surplus dealer stock parts.

It reminded me of how when I was designing stuff with raw (semiconductor) dice 20 years ago, we had to specify "no Exar" on one particular PLL chip because their specs were so loose. You could see the difference in sharpness under the microscope. A Nat. Semi. die had sharp traces, the Exar looked more ragged.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: ErikMiller...while helping my surplus dealer stock parts...
Way 2 go, Erik!  :D

zener

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminbut I don't order samples every week. Just keep it fair and reasonable is my opinion ;)

Does TI limit the number of times you can order free samples? Will they give the same IC if you order it the second time around? I only ordered once but I may consider ordering free samples again if I cannot find an IC/s in the local stores.

Just a bit of info about TI. TI has a factory here in hte Philippines and TI supplies components to cellular phone manufacturers. Cellular phones are becoming both a necessity and personal amusement gadget in Southeat Asia, especially here. That seems to be a big business for TI.
Oh yeah!

primalphunk

Yes...everybody buy TI stuff...get the TI version of the 4558...but don't stop there...please feel free to go totally nuts!

It's not like I own some stock in that company or anything... heheheh

:wink:

PS - I wonder if mouser is traded...  hmmm...

puretube

SCHEMOs for Nothing, and CHIPS for Free...

tplyons

Just placed an order for a bunch of op amps. Apparently I'm an electrical engineer for tplyons effects. :)

LF353P                 5
LM258P                 5
NE5532AP               5
RC4558P                10
TL071CP                5
TL074BCN               5
TL080CP                5  
TLC072CP               5
\m/ Timothy Lyons

crawler486

WHERE CAN I ORDER? PLEASE!!!

Impaler

Yes, TI has a limit of how many samples you can order in a 6 month period (which I recently have hit) On Semi, on the other hand doesn't seem to mind =P
"You're just another victim" - Tazz

dosmun

I think it is cool to get the free samples.  I just got a couple different orders a week ago.  I figure I make it up to them by the stuff I get through Mouser.