To moderators: Forum Bug/Issue

Started by Boofhead, March 20, 2004, 06:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boofhead

I often find when I post replies, or view posts, the forum throws me back to the main forum screen.   It's not something new it's been happening for many months.  It's really annoying if I want to post something quickly and go because you have to navigate all the way back to where you were.

I don't know what the problem is but I suspect it's something to do the session being invalid (probably stored in cookies).  It may be to do with my ISP or browser - I'm using netscape 7.1.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has this problem.

Edit: Another thing, on occasion the forum refuses to let me view posts and *always* sends me back to the main page.  The only solution in this case has been to clear my cookies.

Peter Snowberg

Hmmm. That's odd. I use IE6 on a Win2K machine and don't any kinds of issues. You may want to try deleting your diystompboxes.com cookie and see if that helps. It sounds like a Netscape problem.

The forum software is written by the phpBB Group (http://www.phpbb.com) and is in wide use. You may want to check their forum for any kinds of issues with Netscape 7.1.

It shouldn't have anything to do with your ISP in any case.

The 'session' information for client access with php is all done on the server using php's back-end functionality. I've written a bunch of session handling code and it works very solidly with every browser I tried it with so I doubt that it's a php problem. I believe that the current settings keep a session alive for 1 hour after the last access from that browser instance.

You might want to also try adjusting the setting that deal with cached pages (sorry I can't point you to specifics... I gave up on Netscape some time ago because I just got tired of the numerous bugs and inconsistencies).

Sorry, I don't know what to say other than I hope you find a solution. Your input here is VERY appreciated.

What platform are you on and do you have any kind of 3rd party pop-up blocker installed?

Best of luck!

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

MarkB

works fine in Mozilla Firebird 0.7 and Firefox 0.8
"-)

javacody

I agree, no problems with FireFox 0.8. Peter, you need to come over to Mozilla buddy. Good stuff. You can tweak your browser for days!

Boofhead

Thanks for the input Peter.

Clearing the cookies doesn't solve the problem - it only gets things working back to the normal "intermittent" state if I get completely locked out.

I thought proxy issues with the isp may have an effect.

I might try changing the cached page settings.  At the moment I have it set to "everytime I view the page" mainly because way back in the past I had problems with some pages not updating - I'll try "Once per Session".

I'm using Win98SE, there's no specific pop-blockers or firewall installed,  however,  netscape *does* have it's own pop-up blocker which is active.

If I get a chance I'll see if the machine at work has the same problem with Netscape 7.1 - that machine is running win2k.  Unfortunately I don't hang out here when I'm at work and I don't know when I'll find enough time to try it for long enough.  The fact the problem is intermittent adds to the problem as well - you never really know if you have pin-pointed and  problem or cure unless you use it for a long time.

One small piece of information is, although I get kicked back when I hit post reply I don't seem to get kick back when I submit a post - again, this could be a fluke.

Jered

I'm also using Win98SE but with Mozilla 7 and have no problems.
 Good luck, Jered

smoguzbenjamin

Works fine on IE6 with WinXP. :? No problems at all.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Gringo

I'm using Opera with Xp, no problems so far.
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

1wahfreak

I have been getting the same thing. I was logged in just now and when I tried to post a reply, it kicked me back the the main page, then had to search for the topic and post reply again. A pain in the butt. I'm using XP and IE 6.0. I haven't been able to figure why because it does not happen all the time.

Peter Snowberg

How odd.

Thanks for adding to that 1wahfreak.

I wasn't thinking of ISP based proxy issues but that might make some sense.

So far we have two people with very different ISPs, in different countries one on DSL and one on dial-up, with different browsers, and different OSs.

Hmmm....  :?

I would love to know the why behind this.

There were some problems with version 2.0.4 of the forum which seem to be fixed with the 2.0.6 upgrade. Those issues seemed to be mainly with folks on AOL.

I had some real problems with the logic that kept track of the unread threads and new messages until I learned to not use the back button until after having read the second new message. That seemed to solve things for me at least.

Anybody else with strangeness happening?

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mike Burgundy

...Even IE5 on 2K works just fine.

Alex C

It's happened to me too; my setup and problems are the same as 1wahfreak's.

Alex

Joep

I use XP and IE6.0 too, no problems here.

I have a direct DSL connenction to internet. I guess it has something to do with network/proxy/firewall.

Bye,

Joep

aron

Weird.

I use XP w/ IE 6, XP w/FireFox, OS X.3 w/FireFox and Safari.  Works here obviously.

Here is the mothership:

http://www.phpbb.com/

puretube

IE5/win98SE ok, here;
also glad, the "invalid session" prob seems to be solved - tnx!

Sic

Im  using Windows XP with  Mozillia Firefox...

Only problems i get is in the chat room... the new text comes at the top of the screen instead of the bottom like it is supposed to. If i switch over to I.E.. the problem goes away.

Altho, after i post something, it gives you the option to return to your post, or the main menu... after about 5 seconds or so it automatically takes you to your post.

Perhaps something with the page refresh? i remember you guys were trying to do something with refreshing to show the current users in the chat room? that may have something to do with it. I'm sorry if im way off, but better try and help and be wrong, then not try at all and be right.

Good Luck fixing the prob.

-Sic

smoguzbenjamin

nah that 5 second lag and then going to your post is normal I think, I get ti too and I'm not bothered by it. I think it's standard to the forum...
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

zachary vex

i'm using safari on a mac OSX, seems ok.  chat crashes, but on mozilla it;s fine.

Boofhead

Sorry for the delay I haven't been at home this week.
Thanks you all for the input.

I asked one of my friends who's savey on the ins and outs of these internet type problems.  He suspects it is an ISP thing, most likely caused by the ISP caching pages.  He said it doesn't matter how you setup caching on the browser, because the forced browser reloads reload the cached pages at the ISP and don't go out to the site.

I don't know why it happens on this forum and not elsewhere.  Anyway at this point there's no solution.