Pay Pal Sucks???

Started by Alpha579, March 21, 2004, 03:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Hey all,
I was getting my first order from Small bear elc done, and i asked my dad if i could pay by paypal on his credit card. He said he wasnt sure what sort of agreements hed have to sign, so he went and did some research. Aparantly, alot of people are getting ripped off using Paypal. What do u guys reckon. My dad stumbled across this site //www.paypalsucks.com.
What do u make of all this?
Alex Fiddes

RDV

I've not had any problem with Paypal. You can find a  ________sucks site about almost anything. There's probably a RickyDonVanceSucks site!!

Regards

RDV

Joep

There are two "issues" with Paypal as far as I know.

- If items are payed by Paypal but never received, the creditcard companies don't return you the money. This was not properly stated in the used agreement. Not very nice from Paypal but it really depends on how reliable the receiver of the money is. I know one thing for sure Small Bear is 200% reliable!

- Fake e-mail have been send out that makes you log on the a fake Paypal site to get your password. Allways be suspicious with these type of e-mail. But Paypal cannot do very much about this.

I use Paypal for two years now, without a problem.

Bye,

Joep

Travis

I've also used PayPal for a couple of years now.  No problems.  The people I know who have had issues with it have switched from credit card payment to bank payment and back again.  It seems that there was a glitch in the software.

Small Bear is insanely reliable.  There will certainly not be any problems on his side of the transaction.

petemoore

Seller Rating...by reading a bunch of those, 'bad' sellers are pretty easy to spot.
 You get a guy with 100+ good transactions and one bad, you're probably OK...read the bad one...if it looks like a nightmare...beware.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MarkB

Paypal is plenty safe - the question is who you are buying from.
In this case - I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that Steve is a safe person to buy from.

Me, on the other hand ..
"-)

12StringStratMaker

The beef with paypal probably comes from international people such as myself.   They have established themselves as nearly a monopoly for at least the ebay community (bidpay doesn't have a chance).
Paypal pretty much makes selling as a Canadian not worth it:

1) You get ebay fees for selling (can't help that so about 3-4% of selling price)

2) You get sent money which most people like to send via creditcard, so paypal charges 2.5% to accept that

3) Since I live in Canada, I like the funds to go into my canadian account which costs $0.50 AND they give an exchange rate 3 cents worse than the real exchange rate.

They have their reasons for this, but in the end if I sell something for $100, I end up with only about $90 of that.  So basically, I only pay people with it, and only accept money orders from when I sell.

Steve C

The Ebay Corporation owns Paypal.

RDV

I prefer money orders when selling or buying on eBay. I only use paypal for Smallbear, Tonepad, & GGG.

Regards

RDV

Gilles C

I used Paypal many times without any problem.

But only with well established companies.

Small Bear is one of them.  :D

ExpAnonColin

I love paypal, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it except the charges.  Honestly, I'm totally in love with it.  Any problems that occur are user-based.  If you just do what you're supposed to, no one gets hurt, you know?

-Colin

swangor

I just logged in to my paypal site and read some of the info.  I also looked at the paypal sucks site.

Some of the info on the Paypal sucks site is outdated.  Paypal has limited some of instances when it will debit an bank account that owes it money.

I will agree with what most people say here is that you need to judge who you are "buying" from.  Paypal suggest to verify any claim on your part that you use verifyable shipping (tracking).  That is usually going to be the biggest problem as a buyer is that you want your money back because you didn't recieve the item or something along those lines.

Most of the issues on the PayPal sucks site that looked real bad had to do with people who accepted payments -- "sellers."

What little I use paypal, I've had good luck with them, but I haven't verified my account and don't leave my credit card # floating around in my user account.  I resubmit them when I want to make a purchase.  Call me paranoid.

Like I said I don't use it often, but I do use it.

Thanks,
Rob S

bwanasonic

Quote from: swangor
What little I use paypal, I've had good luck with them, but I haven't verified my account ...

A lot of sellers will only ship to a verified account. I read the Paypal Sucks site a while back. Certainly something to be aware of, but I've seen no indication there is a signifcant risk to the average user. Also keep in mind a lot of the info there is old and from disgruntled ex-employees. There are plenty of wackos who won't even put money in the bank. If you were the type who stocked up on bottled water and took your money out of the bank for Y2K, then maybe Paypal isn't for you. But for those of us who don't wear tinfoil helmets, it's probably fine.

Kerry M

drew

I've been using Paypal for over 3 years to process payments for my online distribution- I operate my own webstore at http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/ and http://www.drewtronics.com as well as use Paypal for payments for the artists and musicians I distribute through my record label, Sharing Machine.

In all this time I've only had one problem, and this was probably two years ago, regarding some weird bank transfer that someone sent but didn't clear, and I got it cleared up with a phone call to the buyer. I've never had problems with them taking money or debiting my bank account, etc...

So I'd say it's pretty clear that Paypal doesn't "suck"... but if you still disagree, see about getting one of those tinfoil hats...

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

Ammscray

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistI love paypal, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it except the charges.  Honestly, I'm totally in love with it.  Any problems that occur are user-based.  If you just do what you're supposed to, no one gets hurt, you know?

-Colin

Yeah right, in a perfect world, glad you haven't had any problems though...

paypal is great yeah until the smallest thing goes wrong, and believe me their contract says everything it has to to make sure you either don't get your money back, or wait a long time for it...now that ebay owns it :( it's gotten even worse...and it's true, they will not back up what they say in their contract what you thought should be helping you...it's all in their wording :twisted:

I've done around 100 transactions with 2 bad ones that weren't my fault, and I only use it for stuff under $200 or so to avoid the fees unless the other guy is willing to pay them...

as far as the paypal sucks (and I think there's another site too), sure people have been ripped off, but still not as many as the ones that have been by "regular" banks...look into that sometime...

it's all about convenience, something this society can't seem to live without...

so does paypal suck? No, but the big corporations do :)
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"