Multi colored LED/Moosapotamus??

Started by Mike Nichting, August 28, 2003, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Hey all, Charlie :-)
I can't remember who brought this to my attention but I did find the multi colored LED. I think it was Charlie?? was it?? the LED that changes colors over time as it sits.
 What do I need to do to have this monster work inside a pedal?? Do I need to run the pedal off of an adapter only???

Thanks
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

petemoore59

I put a red LED in Today's [near finished''needs one 30pf cap] RAT, and it sounds pretty good with the Si on the other side and lights up when threshold is met.
 I don't know if this will be the final diode configutation, but the lighting effect is so cool it's liable to end up sticking out of the top of the pedal...I think it was staying lit in bypass mode [?][I just built it...gonna go tryit again here in a minute!].

Mike Nichting

The LED I am talking about needs 4.5Vdc, 90mA. thats why I asked if the pedal that I put this in should be run straight from an adapter.
The LED costs $3.50 so I don't want to blow it up right off of the bat :-)

Can I run this off of a 3PDT switch or do I need to use the Millenium Bypass circuit with a DPDT or does it really even matter??

Thanks all,
mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

amz-fx

It doesn't take that much current to get the LED blinking but you need to use some extra filtering to stop the internal cmos circuit in the LED from adding noise to your power supply lines.

The best idea is to make a T-filter before the LED...  something like 470 ohm resistor, 47uF capacitor to ground, 470 ohm and then the LED. Bad ascii art follows:

470                    470                 LED
-------//////-------+----------///////-------------->|---------Gnd
                   |
                   |
                  ===  47uF
                   |
                   |
                   GND

-Jack

moosapotamus

Hey Jack,
I think it was you who helped me out with this same issue a while ago (thanks!)... The LED makes audible blips every time it changes color, which is quite often. :)

I managed to quiet it and get a reasonable brightness out of it in a 9V circuit by using a 10K current limiting resistor and a 10uF cap from the resistor/LED junction to ground.

Other than that, no special handling required. Works like a regular LED.

Thanks, again!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."