hmmm I have an idea/Double Muff

Started by aron, March 23, 2004, 03:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in learning how to mod this pedal?

yes
21 (95.5%)
no
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 23, 2004, 03:04:48 PM

aron

I was taking a look at the Double Muff and it occured to me that this might be a cool pedal to do mods on. The fact that you have essentially 2 Fuzz Faces in one pedal could make this thing pretty powerful.

I think this could be a worthy project to show how to mod a commercial pedal.

Anyway, let me know if you think this could be a cool thing and if you would be interested in this if the price of admission (a pedal) is low enough.

tplyons

I got one I'm trying to off, they're cool pedals, but I love my homebrews better.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

puretube

the fastest mod-turnaround in history - LOL - !

petemoore

Perf, solder, sockets etc.
 I was doing so well for about two weeks.
 Hadn't been to the bench except for a few fine tunes on existing pedals, a switch replacement, and some pulldown resistors.
 I have been really enjoying the SD-1, [sounds sorta like a clean guitar overlay], then into the Colorsound Overdrive...Crankin' these two through the MkII is working extremely well. Actually getting the wah to wah without whierding out with mid honk...
 Yes I've had opportunity lately to test/play the Big Volume living room...shaking the windows in the other room some, darn Marshall really kikkin' up storms...sensative thing tho...never really got it to do that before very well, start crankin' the CS Overdriver and I'm noticing all lots of otherwise unnoticable content...works way better with the volume knob up...
 We'll do that 'Loud THing' at the end this Sat. at Gig, this weeks esteemed preparations unleashed...!!!
  But now with this idea, and the THUNDERCHIEF, you guys got some good stuff going...I've been watchin' the Buzz, I'm stuck again. I will have to heat the iron up again, and make the smoke rise up under the Thunderchief.
  I have some FF boards, FF's, I think I have a FF Board with room for a FF also...lol, But I don't have anything really like the Thunderchief.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

Quote from: tplyonsI got one I'm trying to off, they're cool pedals, but I love my homebrews better.

Of course. But I'm talking about modding it and making it better or more customized.

tplyons

Quote from: aronOf course. But I'm talking about modding it and making it better or more customized.
And I'm talking about offering mine to anyone who wants to attack it. I can't bear to mutilate EHX pedals :P

If it's out of line, I understand completely.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

aron

QuoteI can't bear to mutilate EHX pedals

Hehehehehe! But we are making it better, stronger... faster... :)

Put it in the For/Sale section! Cool!

tplyons

Quote from: aronPut it in the For/Sale section! Cool!
Will do. Question: what plans are you thinking of? The only useful thing I can think of is a stomp switch to go between single and double modes on the fly, but drilling EHX cases is a pain in the arse.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

aron

I was actually thinking of these possible mods:

Ge fuzz face on one side, Si on the other.
Diode removal or asymmetrical mod.
Trimmer tone controls.
Revoice circuit by biasing and changing caps.
There's more, but that's what I was thinking off offhand.

I should point out that this is an idea. I would ideally need at least 5 people to make this work.

Mark Hammer

The "blend" pot that I put in my "Roseyray" which I thought was simply a passive mixer (but turned out to be both that and a feedback control) is VERY interesting, and I would recommend pursuing it for any cascaded dual clipper like the Double Muff.

Double-clippers are very interesting circuits because of all the toneshaping possibilities they offer.  Most of the time, we think of things like the Big Muff, which has two very redundant clipping stages and no built-in capacity to determine how they interact, but the possibilities are considerably wider than that.  Bear in mind that the second clipping stage generates harmonics of whatever you feed it.  Consequently, the harmonic content of the first stage (which is a function of how much it clips and whatever filtering is imposed) determines not only the amount of harmonic content of the second stage, but its distribution as well.  Playing with the tone of the first stage, and varying how it drives the second, yields all kinds of tonal flavours.  If you play with the clipping threshold and symmetry on top of that, the palette opens up even more.

aron

Well another mod is to insert a tone stack only when in series!
This would be really cool I think!

This pedal has a lot of potential. There are so many mods I can think of. I know it could sound good because my original Lava Rim sounds good.

aron

Imagine, Marshall tone stack, Dumble tone stack or Boogie tone stack when in series!  8)

MarkDonMel

I've been trying to get my girlfriend to go for this for years.
Ipso Facto

troubledtom

Quote from: aronImagine, Marshall tone stack, Dumble tone stack or Boogie tone stack when in series!  8)

series and or parallel :P l
  - tom

aron

Don't worry Lurko, no one will complain at the price I will get them for. So far though, there's only 5 people interested.  :?

WGTP

Is there a schematic somewhere?   :D
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

aron

hmmm... only had 8 people who were interested.... :?

Let me re-phrase, OK, assuming the price was less than $50 (including shipping), who would be interested?

p1_ind

I am interested.  I love EH effects and the price is right.
Sounds like fun.

Adam

Nasse

Quote from: aronprice was less than $50 (including shipping), who would be interested?

:roll: I could afford it I quess but am I the right person to the job? Quess not. But very good that commercial and professional designers visit and comment this site and share ideas and knowledge. All trade secrets of real business can not discussed here, but you can always read something between the lines.

Any sound samples or description or picture of this pedal anywhere?
  • SUPPORTER