Simple program that will create.pcb or Gerber files?

Started by BillyJ, March 23, 2004, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

I like PCB Express for it's ease of use but I need to be able to create .PCB or Gerber files.
What would you all say is a simple to use porgram that will do this?
Thanks!

freebird1127

Well of course any program is going to have a learning curve associated with it, but if you want a FREE program, check out:

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/

They make a program called Eagle which includes a schematic editor, layout editor, and PCB program.  There's a demo version that is fully functional freeware with only a few limitations:

:arrow: The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches)  (like that's not big enough for a stompbox ckt)
:arrow: Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
:arrow: The schematic editor can only create one sheet

Personally, I use the Protel package, which is incredibly powerful.  It's expensive though.  Eagle is free!  Give it a shot, what do you have to lose??
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

The Tone God

This is one of the reaons why I don't like these free PCB programs. If you want to create gerbers you should use a standard PCB layout program (i.e. Protel, Orcad, Eagle, PCB, EasyTrax, etc.) Most of these programs are intended for use by professionals so they can be overwhelming to a beginner.

I actually like EasyTrax but some people have issues running the software since its kinda old. I guess Eagle would be my next choice if I still used windows.

Andrew