Too much current can't fry something right?

Started by smoguzbenjamin, March 25, 2004, 04:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Heya

I have a US 12v 100mA wallwart  for my FM wireless reciever... I have to use a step-down converter for it and the school's music room has deep plugs that my converter doesn't fit into. I have a european 12v 200mA wart though. The back of my reciever says "12V 100mA MAX"... Now I'm confused. The unit should just draw 100mA, end of story, right? Or could I fry my reciever by using the 200mA wallwart and render the reciever useless?

Quick help much appreciated 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Hal

the rated current on a transformer is the maximum rated current, at a certain voltage. SPecifically, you will blow the transformers if you try to draw more than 200ma.  The ammount of current drawen is dictated by the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage of the transformber, not the transformer's current rating.  

I use a 550 ma transformer on my pedels that draw about 20ma...

they probably only wrote that to make you buy their transformer...most pedals say "USE BOSS PSA ONLY!!"

aron

It will be ok, but just to be sure, I suppose I would test the output of the 200ma wallwart with a meter just to make sure it's "around" the correct voltage setting.

If it's unregulated it will probably be higher, but as long as it's pretty close, it should be fine.

smoguzbenjamin

It's a nice phillips one. No noise at all and it sits at 12.4v with no load :) I guessed it would be OK, I was wondering if there might be exeptions that could fry my reciever. OK no problem then. Huzza, now to make my guitar-paying buddies go green, then purple, with envy 8)

Thanks for the fast responses guys
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.