Runoffgroove Ruby initial report

Started by PB Wilson, March 25, 2004, 06:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Wilson

I finished soldering up a Ruby mini amp and am really impressed. I wasn't sure what I'd get, but it amazes me how so few parts can sound so good. It sounds much better than a Smoky probably because you can set the Gain to different levels for a wider range of overdriven sounds. I socketed a few parts so I can switch between the regular and the Bassman modes without desoldering anything and after playing through it a while I really like the Bassman mode best. It still needs to go in a box and I'm getting a good deal of radio interference in certain spots around the house (pop radio garbage to add insult to injury :evil: ), but I'm going to enjoy it a great deal, especially during the wee hours of the night or when my wife doesn't feel like experiencing real power tube distortion. Overall, I'm glad I built it. I even played my NVN Tone Dog overdrive through it. It sounded great. Nice job guys!!

A bit of reverb would really make it complete. Anyone know where I can get a 3" long reverb tank that fits in a Hammond box? I was thinking I could use some small springs from a ballpoint pen. Just kidding...

I did have a question about wiring up a switch. I quickly tacked the wires together so it is on all the time (I used two mono jacks and no switch). I want to add a SPST toggle and an LED, but am not sure where to splice it in. Any help?

B Tremblay

Thanks for the report, I'm glad you're enjoying the circuit.

What are you using for a speaker?

You can easily add an LED (and a current limiting resistor for it) between the +9v rail and ground.  The SPST switch can be placed between the circuit ground and the negative battery lead.

Ruby amp project: http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

PB Wilson

I alternate between the 2X10 speakers on my amplifier (Crate Vintage Club 60 watt combo--Don't laugh! It's a good bang for the buck amp that is unfortunately too loud for much of my playing.) and a decent pair of Sony headphones.

I'll wire up the switch tonite. Thanks!

mugan

How much adding a LED will reduce the battery life? I'd love to put a 3mm green one to mine but i'm a bit afraid to kill batteries in a few minutes.

How much do your batteries last?
Give the mule what he wants

TheBigMan

I've got the parts together for one myself.  I'm thinking that I'll run it on 18V though and see how that works.  All the parts are rated high enough and I'm interested to see how the headroom is affected.

RDV

Quote from: TheBigManI've got the parts together for one myself.  I'm thinking that I'll run it on 18V though and see how that works.  All the parts are rated high enough and I'm interested to see how the headroom is affected.
It will greatly improve the amount of clean volume available.

RDV

TheBigMan

That's what I figured.  I've got an old practice amp that I've taken apart, and I'll put one in there with an 18V power supply.  Then I'll build another one for use as a headphone amp in a small enclosure.  8)

Steben

Quote from: PB Wilson
A bit of reverb would really make it complete. Anyone know where I can get a 3" long reverb tank that fits in a Hammond box?

Isn't it possible to use the output of the 386 as driver for the spring, parallel to the speaker (I've seen this in Tube amps)? This way you reverb the distorted signal (instead of distorting the reverberated signal).
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

vanhansen

Quote from: B TremblayThanks for the report, I'm glad you're enjoying the circuit.

What are you using for a speaker?

You can easily add an LED (and a current limiting resistor for it) between the +9v rail and ground.  The SPST switch can be placed between the circuit ground and the negative battery lead.

Ruby amp project: http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

Why would the SPST switch go between circuit ground and negative battery lead?  Wouldn't it go between the circuit +9v rail and the positive battery or DC jack lead?  Or does breaking the ground connection turn it off?  I'm about to do the same thing and need some clarification.  I have a rocker switch from RS with two connection poles on it.  It's this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F003&product%5Fid=275%2D694

Which wire would go where or does it matter?  My first guess is from the battery/DC jack to the middle lug and then from the bottom lug to the board.
Erik

B Tremblay

Quote from: vanhansenWhy would the SPST switch go between circuit ground and negative battery lead?

I suggested that arrangement since it is the same as using a stereo input jack to switch on the power when inserting a plug.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

vanhansen

Quote from: B Tremblay
Quote from: vanhansenWhy would the SPST switch go between circuit ground and negative battery lead?

I suggested that arrangement since it is the same as using a stereo input jack to switch on the power when inserting a plug.

Oh yeah,  :oops: I should have thought about that.  Thanks for clarifying.

I'll post the results of my build this weekend.  Can't wait to plug it in to my 4X12.
Erik

aaronkessman

how loud is it through the crate? loud enough to talk over at full tilt?

PB Wilson

Quote from: aaronkessmanhow loud is it through the crate? loud enough to talk over at full tilt?

Not easily. It really puts out more volume than you'd think. My wife likes my Ruby mainly because I can use it with headphones. :roll: Somehow she doesn't appreciate my creative genius through rocking out. :wink:

vanhansen

OMG this little sucker is great.  I just got done hooking everything up.  It drives my 4x12 with no problems.  I did notice it does not like dying batteries.  It starts to studder.  I have it running off a wallwart now and a power rocker switch.

The only problem I have is the volume isn't acting like volume.  It's acting like it's wide open all the time.  I triple-checked the wiring and it's ok.  My only thought is that the pot is 5k, not 10k like the schem calls for.  Turns out I had a 1k but not a 10k.  I'll need to hunt down a 10k tomorrow.

This is a very very cool little amp.  I like it alot.

Time to box it up.

Forgot to mention.....it's pretty freakin loud for a little amp like that.  :D
Erik

vanhansen

Well, got the Ruby working 100% yeserday.  I forgot to wire lug 1 of the volume to ground.  Works like a charm now. I really like the sound out of it. Sounds great. Thank you ROG.
Erik