Teflon wire stripping?

Started by BillyJ, March 25, 2004, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

Well my handy klein won't do it and my fancy semi auto stripper won't either.  :cry:
I really want a tool that is semi automatic but right now anything that can do the job would be nice.
Any recommendations?

mcrusk

This may not help , but years ago when I worked at JPL, they used thermal strippers to strip teflon wire.  These strippers had some thin wire ends that were heated up by passing current through them and they were then clamped on the insulation and twisted once around.  Then you could pull off the insulation with your fingers.  Here's a couple links where you can get some.  

http://www.greatoffers4u.com/industrial/products/121.html

http://www.eraser-international.com/thermal.htm

Gary

Doug H

I bought a pair of these things called "Milwaukee Strippers" at Lowe's for about $7. I just built an amp with teflon wire and they worked beautifully. They have a slotted screw adjustment for dialing in the right wire gauge. The number doesn't always match up correctly to the actual wire gauge, but once you work it out its a breeze.

One little trick I use with teflon is to cut the insulation and just get the stripping started with the strippers. Then I use my thumb nail to slip the insulation completely off. The strippers can have a tendency to eat into the wire and cut strands if you are stripping teflon. Don't know why that is, but this works easily and is very fast.

Doug

Rick

I've got a stripper made by a company called Clauss. They aren't automatic strippers but they will strip teflon insulation easily. Not cheap ~$20CDN but very nicely machined and well worth the extra bucks. Teflon is very tough as we all know and take advantage of, so get a good tool to do the job.  Even with these strippers you've got to clamp down tight and angle the stripper a bit against the teflon and yank sharply, but 1 minute of practice is all it takes. Just another stripper (from the song).

BillyJ

Wow those thermal stripper look cool and I'll bet they are fast too.
I am only concerned with the health risk.
I guess I'll have to poke around to see but igf anyone has used these or know about them please feefree to post about it.
Hmm I have seen some Milwaukee strippers somewhere in these parts.
I think I will take a length with me and just go try a bunch of different ones.
Damn tho I really got used to the auto strippers. I could do 4-5 at a time of PVC.
Well this wire besides being a pain to strip is very nice to work with.
I would recommned it to anyone. I haven't tried Smallbears pre-bonded stuff so I don't know how it compares.
Anyway I found some decent deals on eBay  but beware of shipping charges!!!