News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Divided wah?

Started by zener, March 27, 2004, 06:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zener

I breadboarded a basic wah circuit using 2n3904 trannies and a small output transformer. There's a wah sound as I turned the pot.

When I turn the pot clockwise, I get wah only from strings 6, 5 and 4. The other strings only have a very slight wah, if at all. What puzzles me is that when I turn the pot counter clockwise, the tone gets trebly and the strngs 1, 2, and 3 now have a more pronounced wah but the other strings lose their wah :x Is that normal to have a more pronounced wah in three strings of the guitar than the other three?  Any idea?

Thanks for any help

Zener
Oh yeah!

Ansil

cool u should package that and sell it

or do a shcematic of it

zener

Quote from: Ansilcool u should package that and sell it

or do a shcematic of it
There are times that Ansil is naughty or likes giving taunt-like jokes especially at newbies who most of the time know nothing in electronics.
Oh yeah!

smoguzbenjamin

C'mon he wasn't being nasty. I don't know what your problem (with the circuit) is, but a schematic would be useful in any case.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

zener

The circuit is the basic wah circuit from GEOFEX Technology of Wah Pedals.
Oh yeah!

Ansil

Quote from: zener
Quote from: Ansilcool u should package that and sell it

or do a shcematic of it
There are times that Ansil is naughty or likes giving taunt-like jokes especially at newbies who most of the time know nothing in electronics.

hmmm and there are times when he thinks a good pedal idea that comes from a mistake or an error would be  cool idea tooo,   and then theres the other times that he wonders why he bothers to answer anyones questions.

BillyJ

Guys I think this is just a misunderstanding.
I personally think that a wah that wahs like that has some real potential..
I would love to see a schematic!
I just a pretty big breadboard and am looking for an interesting new thing to try.
If you figure out the mistake please share it.
Ohm....ohmm...  :wink:

zener

Well, I'm sorry for the remarks I posted. I took Ansil's post differently. It was just that I was very pissed off at something else (not DIY-related) and I sat in front of the PC and opened this forum to wind up a bit and check if someone knows what might be happening with my wah. Upon seeing Ansil's post,  it didn't help at all to make me feel a bit better, not because it didn't answer my question but because I took it negatively (maybe because of the other thing that pissed me off) . Shame on me.

I APOLOGIZE FOR EVERYTHING :? .

I just woke up this morning and now feels a bit better now. I realized that my post could start up a something a bit fiery and I just over reacted.

I'm not really a short-tempered or a hot-headed guy, it's just that the situation I'm into yesterday was one of the worst for me.

Once again, Ansil and to everyone, I apologize. I hope you understand.

Thanks.

Zener

PS. I haven't checked the circuit yet, but as fas I remember I did right but will see it once again.
Oh yeah!

smoguzbenjamin

Don't worry zener I think it's OK. I ain't mad at ya ;) I also thik that a circuit that wahs like this could be pretty cool. Did you sub any parts in the wah circuit or d'ya keep everything the same as this:

zener

I used a small output transformer for the inductor as said in the GEOFEX Technology of Wah Pedals. I also used two 2n3904 for the trannies.

At one end of the pot the tone lose some treble and there's wah on the bass strings but a very slight wah on the other three strings.

On the other end, the tone gets trebly, the first three strings produces a wah sound from a sudden turn of the pot. But the bass strings don't produce a wah anymore.
Oh yeah!

Nasse

:x That sounds like what is not physically possible. Hmmm what are you listening it trough??? Some very small monitor or big enough guitar amp?
  • SUPPORTER

smoguzbenjamin

Could the subbed inductor be a problem maybe?

Nasse

:? Or are you feeding a distorting device with it. Got some deja vu "wah does not work" thinkin bout this
  • SUPPORTER

zener

I'm just using a Little Gem and the auxilliary functin of a small karaoke as the speaker.

I suspect it's the transformer I sub for an inductor.

Before, I was confused where is the peak of the wah in the turn of the pot because of what I said in my earlier post. I tried to put a distortion in front of the wah and the wah sound became clearer. I noticed that there is really too little wah from the bass strings, as if when I turn the pot, he bass strings just get trebly and it fades a little bit unlike the first three or four strings where you can really hear it say (or sound) WAAAAHHH with the turn of the pot.

I think I read something here in this forum that had the same problem of not having enough wah from the 5th and 6th strings.

Anyway, I'm happy with how it turned out so far. I also have another wah circuit planted in my breadboard that is based in a Twin-T using op amps that sounds good. I'm planning to make my own inductor to see if it would be better. Also, my custom-built aluminum pedal chassis and three aluminum boxes will be out by Wednesday from a local aluminum shop. I have all of them for just $11 (exchange rate here is $1 = P56).

Zener
Oh yeah!

BillyJ

Guessing but couldn't it be an impedance mismatch with the little gem.
Wouldn't a buffer be needed between the two like Wah and a Fuzz Face?
I think this might be lending to the problem.