Rangemaster Hiss

Started by fretbuzz2003, March 27, 2004, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fretbuzz2003

Hi,
Now I know there is some hiss involved with using the GE transistor in the Rangemaster, but I just finished my build and am getting a LOT of hiss.

I built it using the PCB from GGG, with a few modifications. I socketed three caps on a piece of breadboard so I could switch the value of the input cap. I also put two trimmers on the breadboard instead of using fixed resistors to bias the transistor. In both cases I have wires running from the place on the PCB where the parts were supposed to go to the breadboard.

Could the hiss be coming from using the wires? Would shielded wire help? Also could the trimmers be causing some hiss (as opposed to putting 1% metal resistors in)?

Thanks.

bwanasonic

Quote from: fretbuzz2003Hi,
Now I know there is some hiss involved with using the GE transistor in the Rangemaster, but I just finished my build and am getting a LOT of hiss.

It sounds like you haven't boxed it yet? That should make a pretty big difference. I used metal film resistors in mine, but ended up replacing almost all of them with either trim pots or carbon ones, and I have no real problems with hiss. I imagine if I cranked it all the way up I might hear something, but I never use it set past 2 O'clock. Put it in a box and see what happens.

Kerry M

fretbuzz2003

It is boxed up already. And it hisses with the pot as low as 9 o'clock.

petemoore

Just Hiss IME is not usually associated with not being boxed, Rangemasters do hiss.
 Have you tried a different transistor? IIRC reverse polarity can partially break the diode junction, I know I've reverse installed Ge's in Rangemasters, and have definitely noticed hiss coming from particular transistors.
 If it's ALOT of hiss, I would say the lions portion of it is being created somewhere besides bias resistor noise...I run the 5% resistors and the hiss level is quite small.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Bluesgeetar

Jesus why is no one getting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish like hell there was some way I could post some mpeg clips of Page and Clapton from the 60s.  Come on guys!  Get a clue!  Old vintage circuits hiss!!  Example:  Who here has that DVD of "Cream the Farewell Concert".  OK there is an interview part with Clapton where he talks about the wah wah and how he gets his tone calling it the woman tone and stuff and his technique and stuff.  When he gets ready to play the examples and he kicks in the wah!!  Holy hell the amount of hiss is incredible!  The guys back then worked with the hiss not against it!  If you don't like hiss then go with a modern type circuit! :roll:

bwanasonic

Quote from: BluesgeetarJesus why is no one getting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish like hell there was some way I could post some mpeg clips of Page and Clapton from the 60s.  Come on guys!  Get a clue!  

Sorry dude, my Rangemaster doesn't hiss at any reasonable volume by itself. I can induce hiss by adding other boxes, but the unit itself does not hiss even at earbleed gig levels. I generally avoid engaging any circuitry pre Rangemaster. Aside from Rangemaster into Fuzz Face, I generally use it by itself.

Kerry M

Fret Wire

Same with mine, no hiss to speak of. DC crackle on the boost knob, that's it. Quality components, good pcb layout, proper enclosure, and good lead dress habits all help. It's a common misconception with classic effects that they're all noisy. When you actually build one, you'll realize that it's not so true. Your build technique has alot of influence on how much noise there will be, classic or modern design.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Rick

As Pete mentioned, it could very well be the transistor itself. The first Tonebender I built hissed like a rainstorm. One of the Ge's was at fault, swapped it out and it is quite noiseless now. The faulty Ge transistor turned out to be quite leaky also but I'm not sure if this is always the case.
Try a different (not too leaky transistor).

Bluesgeetar

True.  None of my vintage builds really hiss.  My hiss comes from really needing to replace the caps in my old amps.

Lonehdrider

Yeah, the only hiss I get from my range/clone is from the patron's of the club if the volume is a bit to high when I first come up to jam.. :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: In my defense, at that volume, you get some great harmonics REAL easy.. ;)
With all the dozen's of blues songs that start "Gonna get up in the morning" , its a fact that blues musicians are apparently the only ones that actually get up in the MORNING...

fretbuzz2003

I tried all three transistors I had. I tested them beforehand and none of them seemed leaky (<200uA). I did order three more so I'll try them when I get them.

I tried to seperate the input and pot wires as best I could from the power wires, that seemed to help a little.

Fret Wire

I take it your box has no paint inside anywhere. Double check that the pots, jacks, and switch are making a good ground to the box. Are the jacks the open style? Plug in your cord and see if they are making a solid switching connection.  Go over the board with a good magnifier to make sure there are no traces touching. Check again for cold solder joints. Every time you re-check, something you miss the last time comes back at you. Shielded wire will help, but shouldn't be needed. Sounds like a ground or connection problem that's inducing the hum. There's always the possibility of a bad resistor or cap. Are there any scavenged components in it?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

fretbuzz2003

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I socketed the input caps so I can try different values. I have the stock treble boost and full boost down. Has anyone gotten a good midrange boost? What value cap did you use?

Fret Wire

I like the stock values for humbuckers. For my strats I tried .1 to .0047. I kinda liked .01. Never really looked for a midrange sound out of one. Plenty of other pedals for that. I just tried different values until the treble wasnt overbearing in all pickup positions. It will depend on the amp/pickup combination.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Fret Wire

Almost forgot..is this positive or negative ground? Are you using a power supply or battery? Cap orientation correct? Sometimes, fuzz faces and rangmasters don't like to be neg grounded.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

fretbuzz2003

I am using negative ground. All the parts are oriented correctly. It's very likely I have a bad solder joint somewhere like you suggested. I'll check that out first.