1.0 FARAD cap!

Started by Sic, March 28, 2004, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

1.0 Farad cap

not quite just a cap... but im sure you geniuses co uld find some awesome use for it lol

its a car audio thing...

Who can come up with the most unique audio DIY use for this?

ExpAnonColin

Oh, they get much higher than that...

6 farad?
http://shop.certiport.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/715157/vpcsid/0

etc etc etc...

You could create some damn slow LFOs with that baby!

-Colin

ExpAnonColin

So if we were to have a 6 farad cap... with the standard dual LFO waveform that I use, given a 2.2meg resistor...
1/(4 * 6 * 2,200,000) = 1.89 * 10^-8 or .0000000189hz, which equates to 1.136 * 10^-6 cycles per minute, or 6.8 * 10^-5 cycles per hour, or .0016 cycles per day, or .589 cycles per year. :shock: That's right folks, around one half of a cycle every year.  And that's given that you aren't putting resistors in series...  :twisted:

Peter Snowberg

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

-Peter  :lol:  8)

You can always use them for spot welding too.  :twisted:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Alex C

In the description it says "Rated at 1.0 farad, plus or minus 10 percent."  Shouldn't the tolerance be a little better than that?  10% makes a big difference when the values get that high.  But hey, it's from Wal-Mart.  :)

Alex

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Peter Snowberg:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

-Peter  :lol:  8)

You can always use them for spot welding too.  :twisted:

HAHAHAHAHA... oh man...

-Colin

Alpha579

What r LFO's  :oops:
Alex Fiddes

bwanasonic

Ge_Whiz

Some years ago, the engineering department at a British University built an accurate one-cycle-per-year LFO to test the effect of annual expansion-contraction cycles in large metal structures like bridges. Trouble was, at switch-on it started at a random part of the cycle, so they had to wait for up to a month to couple it up to the model at a zero-point crossing.

Came the big day, and the University bigwigs had a visit to enthuse over this innovation. The department showed them around, fed and watered them, and, at the end of the day, somebody remembered the LFO - yes, they had missed the zero point!

travissk

Quote from: Alpha579What r LFO's  :oops:

LFO = low frequency oscillator, it's a circuit/chip/piece of software/etc that produces a rising and falling oscillation, usually in a sine/square/sawtooth wave, but the waveform can be anything really, so long as it's periodic.

You hear these in many modulation effects like Tremolo, Phaser... the easiest way to think about it is probably the rising and falling of a tremolo. The input volume of a guitar is multiplied by the LFO's current volume, giving it that rising and falling characteristic.

Hope that helps, sorry for my mediocre explanation :)

smoguzbenjamin

It is what's used to make 'swirly' effects as the control parameter goes up and down in a cyclical manner.

Quote from: Ge_Whizat the end of the day, somebody remembered the LFO - yes, they had missed the zero point!
:shock: That has to suck!
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

amckinley100

Interesting about British Universities - the university I went to (should really keep it quiet....) has had two fantastic errors in judgement - it was the civil engineering department there which designed the Millenium Bridge in London (you know....the swaying one which cost almost as much to fix as it did to build in the first place), and designed the university sports halls - however, after the basement had been built, they realised that the calculations for the foundations failed to take into account the weight of the water in the swimming pool (doh!).  Consequently, the sports centre rises 4feet above the pavement level!

Just as well I studied chemistry there and not civil engineering ;-)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy..."

Ge_Whiz

I am told that when St. Andrews University in Scotland built a new tower block in the 1970s, they failed to take into account the softness of the underlying soil. By the time they opened the building, it featured an unplanned step down to the entrance door. Five years later, two steps. It was predicted that by 2020 or so, it would have an unplanned basement.

In my University town of ol' Durham city, there is a magnificent bridge joining the Student's Union building to the centre of town across a very steep, narrow gorge over the river Wear. It was impossible to build the bridge in a conventional manner, because of the steepness of the sides of the gorge, so the bridge was built in two sections parallel to the banks, on rotatable sections like giant 'Lazy Susans'. On completion, the two sections were rotated ninety degrees into perfect alignment with each other and the riverbank sections. A brilliant piece of architectural engineering.

Oh, and I studied chemistry, too.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Expecting an enormously large cap to give an enormously long LFO cycle time sometimes doesn't come off, because large caps have larger leakage currents, so eventually you get diminishing returns, the leakage swamps the high resistance in the RxC term.