Even more pedal pics...

Started by Bucksears, March 29, 2004, 09:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

Due to a few positive responses on these pics, I decided to try and post them online. These are the AMZ's MiniTubes, Doug's VoxEXP, and a Rocket Rat (GGG's Rodent/Rat clone). I wanted to put the 'amp vibe' in the Vox and MiniTubes; I guess my BFA in Design is good for something!  8)
All were done on 1590BB cases painted white then the labels were put on over them so everything would show through clearly; so far, one pack of labels (25 sheets), a can of flat white spray paint and a can of clear coat has done me good. Feel free to ask any questions (and let me know if you can't view the pics).

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bsears121/album?.dir=/4056

- Buck

AL

toneman

Love Your artwork!
Vox & Marshall "fabric" looks Fab!
AFN
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Xlrator

Those Marshall and Vox designs are genius!! Very cool!
Listen to cKy!

Peter Snowberg

Very cool! 8)

Nice work! The amp face plates are something I havn't seen anybody do yet. that's getting harder and harder to pull off. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Fret Wire

Hey Buck, I see you got your yahoo going. Disregard the email. Those are too good not to share!
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Doug H

Wow! I love your marshall and vox boxes! I've wanted to do that sort of thing for some of my "amp" pedals but lack the artistic skills. I'm envious! :D

Doug

Bucksears

Thanks guys. The only real trick was getting the grill cloth and tolex .gifs to pattern well (Photoshop). The rest of it was done in Illustrator and printed out from there.
The Vox logo was easy, but that MiniTubes.......I put a Marshall logo in Illustrator and then DREW the rest of the MiniTubes logo using the existing letters as a template; THAT took the longest.  I just need some gold/black Marshall knobs and I'll be set.
I wish they had mini chicken-head knobs for the Vox, but I'll settle for some Fender vintage white ones ala the VibroKing.
For a MiniTubes with more gain and a Mesa tone stack, I'm working out a black MesaTubes design that will have the Mesa look, including a purple or blue JEWEL light (with a white LED behind it). We'll see.
Thanks for looking!!

puretube

Jim Jones

Wow, those are fantastic!

Jim

jrc4558

Sweet holy mama!
Man!!! Is this every cool!!!
How do people do things like that???

travissk

Peter B

Hey Buck,

Very cool.... VERY impressive.  A question for you, when you refer to "labels" what type are you using?

I have several pedals ready to box and am tossing up options for the finish.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Peter.

Bucksears

Peter,

The labels I'm using are Avery #8665, Clear Full Sheet Labels. Basically it's just an 8.5"x11" full-page sticker. One pack has 25 sheets. I just put however much I can print (at the time) on one page, print it, then cut the pieces out and put them on the boxes.
One of the main things that keeps the lettering centered like it is, is the fact that I had to drill the boxes, then scan them in so I know where the holes are. In Illustrator, I import the pic of the scanned case, then type the control names under their respective holes (with room for a knob to fit over the hole, of course).

I bought the labels at Office Depot; most places didn't have them in stock, but I'm sure they can be ordered off the net or Staples, OfficeMax, etc.
- Buck

Mark Hammer

Funny how little it takes to convey the impression of a brand of amp.

Nice work.  Very rich colours.  The white background helps to bring them out nicely.  I've used the smaller clear label stock for labelling and found the laser toner would run under some conditions.  Did you have problems with that, and if so, what did you do to get around it?  

What brand/type of clear lacquer did you use?

Is rotary tugging at the label sheet a problem when you go to put on pots and switches?

Bucksears

>>Funny how little it takes to convey the impression of a brand of amp.
Visually, yes.  Sonically, well..... :)

>>found the laser toner would run under some conditions. Did you have problems with that, and if so, what did you do to get around it?
I'm using an OLD HP Deskjet 855cxi (inkjet) printer. It works great for these kind of things; not good for doing photos, though. The ink didn't run, per se, but it did take a while to dry. If you scraped it without completely drying, it would take the ink right off. Now I just print them out and let them sit for several hours, sometimes overnight. Then they're fine.

>>What brand/type of clear lacquer did you use?
Right now, I'm just using a clear acrylic spray. It seems to work fine, but Fret Wire hooked me up with an online place for clear epoxy spray. I might have to start using that for added protection.

>>Is rotary tugging at the label sheet a problem when you go to put on pots and switches?
Yes, on the Rocket Rat; I trimmed the labels off on the inside just enough to clear the nut. With the MiniTubes and the VoxEXP, I used washers. The label didn't move at all when tightening; I tightened them slowly, while watching for 'tugging'.

martinbertrand

This is some good work. The looks are impressive and makes you want to hear the pedal.  any soundclips available? i'd love to hear them screaming! :twisted:
Martin Bertrand
www.lesdeloreans.com

Paul Marossy

Very nice looking stuff.  8)

I use a similar method, but your method has much better results than I can get. I can't do color with my current method, unless I could round up a color copier...

Fret Wire

Quote from: BucksearsI bought the labels at Office Depot; most places didn't have them in stock, but I'm sure they can be ordered off the net or Staples, OfficeMax, etc.
- Buck

I just bought a pack (25 sheets-Avery #8665)  at Staples today for $21.97. Avery lists it at $25.... so not a bad deal, they'll last a while.

Once again Buck, thanks for the great tip!
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

PeterJ

Okay, but someone has to use these and make a pedal called the "Food Fight"

Found on this page: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/ppr/ppr10017.htm
Duct tape and particle board!