Where are you? (The BIG map version)

Started by Peter Snowberg, March 30, 2004, 10:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

OK here it is.... the next installment of the "Where are you" thread. :D

I've run this thread before a couple of times with the first being a text-only and the second not having enough resolution to cope with the number of people in certain areas.

This is what is looked like on the last run: (URL no longer valid)

This will probably be the final run, now with a BIG map file that is a little over 200K. If you're on a dial-up connection, it will take a little bit to download.

Thanks again for everybody’s participation!

Click here to add yourself to the map! 8)(URL no longer valid)

To View the BIG Map: Click here. (URL no longer valid)

Edit: I added a new viewer that brings up a map that fits on a 1024x768 screen MUCH easier. :D

To View the 1024x768 screen Map: Click here. (URL no longer valid)

Another Edit: I added another viewer that shows the map in the style of a paper map with pins to mark the locations. This one also fits on a 1024x768 screen. :D

To View the 1024x768 "Pin Cushion" Map: Click here. (URL no longer valid)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

Cool, peter! One remark though. When the picture is auto resized by IE (which is a nice full-view of the world), the location dots are so small you can't see em. I'm using a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution. Is there a workaround for this?

But for the rest, excellent job! 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminWhen the picture is auto resized by IE (which is a nice full-view of the world), the location dots are so small you can't see em.

Thanks Ben. :D

The only way around that is to turn off the auto-resize "feature" in IE. Personally, I can't stand that option. :)

I'll make a new viewer that shows the big whole world data on a smaller map later today.

Take care,
-Peter

zener

Just as what I asked for recently :P .

Thanks, Peter :wink:

C'mon guys, especially those outside US. Show everyone where you are 8)
Oh yeah!

Stuart

bwanasonic

Peter - If we all supply photos, can you make it so a mouseover shows the face for each location :wink: ? OK , how about just the member name? Cool map thingy!

Kerry M

javacody

That is too cool! That had to be some complicated programming Peter, good job!

Basonsubatomia

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminCool, peter! One remark though. When the picture is auto resized by IE (which is a nice full-view of the world), the location dots are so small you can't see em. I'm using a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution. Is there a workaround for this?

If you hover over the image for a second, on the lower right corner should be an icon that has an image with arrows pointing outwards. If you click on it, it will restore the image to its original size.

Peter: Out of curiosity, how did you do this? I'm a comp sci major with a little experience in PHP :)

Hal

HAHA even with the big map, the dot is about half the size of Long Island :-D.

'represent.

Gnome

Am I the only Norwegian guy on this forum?

Dan N

Darn! My browser (IE 5.1 for Mac) just wants to download the file to my disk. Then I can open it in Photoshop and see the map, but I can't add to it...

Peter Snowberg

Zener,
Thanks for pushing me to finally post the big map version! :D

bwanasonic,
Sorry, that's a little more programming than I have time to do right now. If you want to write the next version.... ;). Thanks for the compliments. :D

javacody,
I hope you realize this new version is all your fault. :lol: Thanks, actually the code is really simple thanks to php and the 'gd' library by Thomas Boutell.

Basonsubatomia,
I'll post the code tomorrow when I have time. In short, the world map is in one file, and the locations are in a text file. The locations are captured using the HTML imagemap functionality. When you view the map, it loads the picture and draws the circles at each location in the text file before spitting out the graphic as a PNG file. It's pretty simple once you see the code. :D

Gnome,
You may be the only person in Norway, but I'm Sami, Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish too. ;) My last name is actually Snöberg (a Swede name) but more of my blood is from Norway or what is now called Norway. My grandfather was from Tromsø.  :D

Dan N
Sorry about that. You can thank UNISYS for being nasty to everybody that made code that created GIF files. UNISYS owns the rights to LZW compression and they threatened the guy who made the library that draws the graphics with legal action if he didn't drop GIF writing support. I'll make up an alternate version that spits out a JPEG in the next few days. Please check back. Thanks!

Thanks to everybody for adding your placement!

This is open to EVERYBODY, including people who are not registered to post on the forum. If you haven't joined, please come on and join the discussions! We don't bite (usually) ;).

Lonestarjohnny

Mine's on there,
JD

Eric H

Quote from: JDMine's on there,
JD
Dang, a lot of y'alls in Texas ;-)

Very cool, Peter --I missed the first one (or never noticed it.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Zero the hero

zener

I'm in the Philippines, in the far east.  8)
If I remember right, I'm not the only DIYer here.

Thanks and job well done, Peter :wink: .
Oh yeah!

dosmun

BDuguay

I'm from the same city as Mr. A Coleman. Burlington, Ontario Canada.
I've yet to meet the man, but I'm sure we've been in our local electronics store at the same time and not even known.

blabj

im on there, as close as i can get to manchester ( well stockport for any one with an ok knowledge of the north-west of england :D ) cool idea and well implemented  :D
toodles
Callum
www.By-Default.co.uk :D

strungout

Marked. I'm the first dot in Quebec, Canada (dot is on Laval, right above Montreal)! Btw, B Tremblay, are you from here? Un Bleuet du Saguenay/Lac St-Jean? ;)

Anyway, this is a cool idea!

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".