Fuzz Face Collector Voltages

Started by Arn C., March 30, 2004, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Howdy All,
    I built a fuzz face circuit and I am attempting to set the collector voltages.   I set Q1 at 1.10v and I can only get as high as 2.4v at Q2.

I am using a 50K trimpot on Q1 and a 25K trimpot on Q2.

What culd be wrong?  I think I am supposed to get 1/2 the supply at Q2 collector.
I am doing the PNP version.

Thanks!
Arn C.

Arn C.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Jim Jones

Hey Arn,

Check out some of the articles at Runoffgroove - I believe they have some voltages posted for a number of FF-style projects.  Ideally 1/2 your supply is what you're going for on Q2's collector - I can't remember the ideal Q1 C voltage...

Jim

Arn C.

Thanks Jim for the info!!!

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the voltage up on Q2?

Peace!
Arn C.

Jason M.

Are you using germanium transistors?
Did you test them for leakage and gain?

I use a 25k pot on Q2's collector and haven't had trouble getting the bias right, unless the transistors have too much leakage.

1/2 supply voltage on Q2's collector is a reference point. I just tweak the bias until I like the sound.

ErikMiller

Try bringing the Q1 collector voltage down, and you may be able to get the Q2 collector voltage up.

Arn C.

I tweaked the first collector voltage until Q2 collector voltage came up to 4.45 volts, Q1 now has a collector voltage of 4.1v  .  Will this work this way?

Thanks gents for the info!!!!

Arn C.

Jim Jones

aron

Are you sure you have the transistor oriented correctly?

Finally, do you have the feedback resistor in there? The one that goes from the emitter of Q2 to Q1's base?

Arn C.

Thanks Jim!

Aron wrote:
[/quote]Are you sure you have the transistor oriented correctly?

Yes!

Aron wrote:
Finally, do you have the feedback resistor in there? The one that goes from the emitter of Q2 to Q1's base?
Yes!

Arn C.

RDV

What is the measured voltage right before it goes into the trimmer pot at Q2? It should the 9v- rail.

Regards

RDV

Arn C.

I made the pnp fuzz face if that helps any.........
I tweaked the first collector voltage until Q2 collector voltage came up to 4.45 volts, Q1 now has a collector voltage of 4.1v . Will this work this way?   Or does Q1 need to be much lower?  I read somewhere 1.10 volts for Q1 is good.

Arn C.

Arn C.

Jim Jones

Hey Arn,

As you said, I think that Q1's collector needs to be much lower.  What value resistors are you using for both collectors?

Jim

B Tremblay

Did you use germanium or silicon transistors?

Check this page for some sample voltages of Fuzz Faces built with both types (toward the bottom): http://runoffgroove.com/tbmk2.html
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

B Tremblay

What are the other pin voltages?  And are you using germanium or silicon transistors?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Arn C.

Ok, here we go again.

I decided to make an NPN fuzzface and see if it comes out without the problems I have been having with the pnp ff.

Well, same problem.  With the NPN ff  I only had the first transistor(Q1) and for the second(Q2) I used a metal can silicon.   I tried to get the hfe's correct  (around 74 for the Q1 and 132 for Q2)

With 9 volts applied to the circuit  I had the same problem as before.  This time I decided to change the resistor between Q1 and Q2(9 volt line) the 330 ohm resistor on the npn ff.   I put in a resistance decade box and fiddled around until I finally got the voltages to read correctly.  4.5 on Q2 collector and 1.24 on Q1 collector.    

The extra added resistance was  430K !!!!

Q1  C=1.24 B=.088 E=0
Q2  C=4.50 B=1.22 E=.766

Do these values look okay now ?  
Will the circuit now work okay?

Thanks!
Arn C.