DS1 help Please

Started by SM, April 03, 2004, 05:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM

I made the "Ultra" and "Seeing eye" mods and then tweaked some (2 red LED:s and germaniums). I like this effect a lot.
However, I want to be able to dial in more treble. I run the tone pot at 10 . (Or maybe I want to cut some bass - but I think I’m looking fore treble).
Would a change of C12 from modded value .1uF do the trick? I’m totally at loss here.

:-)
Bjorn

petemoore

Schematic aside, changing to smaller input cap value=less bass gets in.
 More treble content by 'proxy'.
 If there's a little cap to ground near the output [like if its a diode to ground clipper...right there], removing or making it smaller value should let more highs out.
 I need to look at the schematic to tell about  feedback loop or tone control, whether I could figure it out.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SM

Thanks for your respons. I guess I don't need to tell you that Phillip made an excellent schem at http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ds1/DS1_Modified.gif

I understand the reducing the values of the caps will let less bass freq threuogh the unit. I think I like the amount of bass (or maybe to cut just a little bit). I would like to get some more trebble or high mids, or more precense - in your face sound. Now i use the tone pot at 8-10 (o-10).
Generlallyy I'm surprised how good this unit sounds.

Bjorn

petemoore

Perhaps one of our other service technicians can take a shot at this one, as the best I can do is speculate.
 That's a whoppin' schematic, nothing like the DIST+, the diode, led etc going to 4.5v and such before the tone control...actually there are a number of things about this schematic that leave me wondering..Hmmm

Ansil

might i sugest if you are having treble problems then try the following remedy.  replace the c11 with a 2200pf or 2n2  and remove the r17 to ground. or sorry vbias all together you wont' be sory, i do this on my modded ds386 now

SM

Thank you both - I'll try the adj. Ansil suggested and get back.

One Q Ansil. What do you mean with "or sorry vbias all together".
I suspect this is a "paste" error?

Bjorn

smoguzbenjamin

He wrote:
Quotethe r17 to ground.
He meant:
Quotethe r17 to Vbias
;) I think that's what ansil meant.

I can't see the schemmo though, I get this:

:roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

SM

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminHe wrote:
Quotethe r17 to ground.
He meant:
Quotethe r17 to Vbias
;) I think that's what ansil meant.

I can't see the schemmo though, I get this:

:roll:

Thanks,
About the link - did you really try http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ds1/DS1_Modified.gif ?
Works OK for me.

Bjorn

smoguzbenjamin

I get redirected to http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/adm/interstitial/remote.gif

But I figured it out, it's the same problem as geocities. Just insert the link in an allready open browser window. ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

petemoore

At our local Lentines Music they had a very large barrel of DS-1 units at a price of 25$ each. What a deal !!!
 I saw them in The Friend Mag for 39..still not bad.
 I think I'll shop around for another used one of these and mod it.
 The first one I had worked great, er pretty dern generic goodness, I had it for a long time, the second one I had was harsh, the tone knob would adjust from harsh and mud.

SM

Well - I have to thank Ansli for good suggestions.
Changing the cap was a good mod (I tested several values).
Also lifting R17 was a good change. The treble became smoother. However this mod increased gain somewhat and added some mud so I decreased the modded input cap value from .1 to .068uF.

All in all - this is a great sounding pedal (this and the BD2).

Thanx again,
Bjorn

phillip

Tripod doesn't allow file sharing from other sites.  You have to copy the URL and paste it into a new browser window...or just check out the whole DS-1 Mod article at:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/DS1.html

Phillip ;)

Ansil

well i am glad it worked for you sory i was asleep while all of you replied lol