SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

OT SRV

Started by Tony Forestiere, April 04, 2004, 12:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Hi,

a Guitarteacher said one day:
"Speed is a Fall-Out of practice" (i hope the sence is right in my English writing)

And, as You think about a good Version of LittleWing, watch the Videos
in the following Link:

http://www.brushyland.com/monte/

enjoy it!

bye
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

Alex C

Holy crap, that's some incredible playing!  What a fiery tone, and from an acoustic too.  Excellent!  

Alex

petemoore

Soemtimes being all potentiated can be like too much.
 I've known Ppl that can sit down and read music for piano, and play it 'verbatim', guitar players that are great at playing very fast leads with many different notes per measure.
 IMO the piano player played everything without the depth I thought the pieces could use [some of them I play too, learned them much slower, spending alot more attention to details and movement], but was fascinated that he could just compute some of the more complex sheet music passages into finger movement that related to notes that quickly.
 The guitar player is yer basic schredder dude...not really that fun at jams...doesn't do rythm.
 In the case of Gilmour, it is moot why he plays slow hand style with such fluent thought provoking style, that I like it, and can appreciate how he or anyone would like it is what counts. I don't know if he ever tried playing speed leads or developing right hand picking speed, but I'm glad for players that find 'that' note...nothing rushed, the slow pace and creation of space can simply outpower even the quickest hand, not that I have anything against frenetic speed demon lead playing...[best kept in cameo appearances while mixed with other elements IMO], nothing beats a well phrased lead woven into an interesting rythm !
 Every living thing 'takes pictures' at different varying frame rates, different resolutions, eye color highlights or rolls of certain frequencies of light making color perception different for everyone [other things influence this also. We all hear differently. All of these areas of perception can be altered, you can literally roll back your 'age' [in bio years], and appear chronologically younger, in a number of ways.
 Sometimes I think I was happier before I knew stuff...
 Wehn I  think too much I get a headache...lol !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jimmy

hmmmm

im a HUGE fan of hendrix, SRV and yngwie, and i find that the hard stuff isnt the fast stuff, its the chords immediatly followed by a melody. think Lenny by SRV. im 15 and i started playing at 12 1/2. i can play little wing, and my greatest achievement is far beyond the sun. that was the stage of my playing where i first bled from the fingertips. good times.

keep playing!!
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

Chris R

Quote from: Oliver

And, as You think about a good Version of LittleWing, watch the Videos
in the following Link:

http://www.brushyland.com/monte/

enjoy it!

bye
Oliver

wow.. wow...  

thats an interesting tone for an acoustic guitar..   i wonder if it's the amp.. or compression.. or what.

Chris

javacody

Pete, you have it exactly right. There are many different skills used in Music, not just manual dexterity. I don't think John Lee Hooker was the fastest guitarist around, but listen to his rhythm. I don't have that kind of rhythm, probably never will, but I can still play LIKE ME.  :)  I'll never be a Jimi or a Mozart, but I can be positively influenced by both. There is not a person alive who doesn't have enough "potential" in any of the areas that it takes to play music. Someone who couldn't play an instrument to save their lives may still be able to compose beautiful symphonies, maybe even a deaf person could do it. :)   Tongue in cheek on purpose there. Beethoven gave up music for a few years after he went deaf. Then he came back to compose the best works of his career. Consider Beethoven's case, consider Django's case, now who out there doesn't have enough "potential"? Hell, even look at people like Michael Jordan or Einstein. Michael Jordan didn't make his High School basketball team the first time he tried out, yet many people would consider him a "natural". And look at Einstein, the man was considered the dumbest kid in school when he was young. He came back to revolutionize mathematics. Life is full of such paradoxes, and I guarantee that anyone can play guitar, if they can find a teacher who can teach them in the way that they specifically learn.

petemoore

Everything equates to atomic structures, after all without the electrons flying around the nucleus, the earth would be the size of a beach ball.
 The path an electron takes cannot be mapped or predicted accurately.
 General areas of travel can reasonably be predicted with  fair odds of being accurate.
 Same's true with everything. Certain things are known to be true 10 times out of 10...we'd never know if we didn't keep count.
 Sometimes slow frame rates [JL Hooker?] can give resolution that brings out elements that speed demons totally miss. As far as I care I get more attitude that makes sense listening to an artist like JLH than any schredder dudes...they miss the vibe all the time...getting stuck in high frame rate mode prevents the considered analysis...that's where the real meaning is.
  If you're into 'kill mode' perpetually, your more likely to get killed, [there's ALWays a faster gun at some point], slowing it down is the key...I love the stuff that 'shifts gears' where you can feel the frame rate change...Jimi was a master of this. You could always feel the reserve speed, could be used at anytime, yet at very judiciously chosen intervals...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

IMHO the physical limitations most of us face are a much smaller obstacle than the mental ones.  When I listen to Yngwie, DiMiola, Holdsworth, Satriani, etc. I think there are plenty of great guitarists like SRV or Hendrix or even the live ones like Clapton that haven't reached their full potential.  One of my favorites Leslie West only uses 2 fingers, even though he has all of them.  He has a great "FEEL" and tone.  Very reserved, maybe because of his technical limitations, maybe because he prefers it.  Where does that come from?  Is that a mental deal, or Spiritual?

After years, I have gotten fast and flashy, but I think it is like an exponential curve.  Getting a little faster at this point, is a lot harder than it was when I first started.

Where does David Gilmore's melodic sence come from, or Jimi Page's "staggered" phrasing?  How do you spell sincopation?

8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

javacody

with a y, syncopation.  ;)

A spell checker would be a nice upgrade on this board, eh?

smoguzbenjamin

Well cody if that's what you wanna do ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.