Stompin on the Chief

Started by petemoore, April 05, 2004, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

or gettin ready to..
 All the parts were on board yesterday except 1 j201.
 I've got to remember to circle or underline three digit numbers on schematics before starting, those 470s get me more. I should have known it would be something small there, when Q3 wouldn't bias I soon found the 470k kulprit in there again,  the 470 went there.
 Thanks to all, Doug and the 'guyrus' at Runoff Groove for the schematic and perf layout, this really helped me get a good clean build, this helps as I plan to put at least an added spst, doing mods and troubleshooting is easier with the art and accompanying text !
 I found a fourth J201, pulled the MPF102 that I could tell wasn't really working right in this circuit, [did 'some' cleaning while finding that little black j201].

This cct lit up. First impression is: Really fun player, should make a fantastic Marshally grinder. Smooth OD, interesting workable dynamics and attack response, also quite forgiving', responds to hard strummed, palm muted, and open picked strings amazingly well.
  I don't have any other pedals remotely like this one as far as tone, parts etc.
 One darn nice sounding pedal, does get that warm smooth tubey tone in it.
 I used humbuckers, need to try some more Jfets in it, the wakkey bias on these makes me reason theres a reason the ROG text recommends trying out different ones, I think a batch of 6-8 would be nice for one of these builds so you wouldn't wonder so if you're lucky or not. Swapping Q postitions sure made enough difference.
 As it sits the thing sounds great throught the little amp, no doubt with the smooth high end and refined bass the big amp should have N/P working with this one.
 Low noise. Knobs work great. Definitely getting added variables, and one fine box. This one didn't get rushed, I've been out of solder [well I had a half inch] and perf for over a  month, got sockets solder and board in yesterday.
 Great Build No doubt!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.