Swapping solid state for tube preamp question

Started by MattAnonymous, April 05, 2004, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattAnonymous

I just bought a Peavey Deuce tube amp on ebay.  It's 120W.  The only problem I have with it is the fact that it has a solid state preamp.  How would I go about replacing the ss preamp with a tubed preamp?
It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

MattAnonymous

It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

The Tone God

That is not going to be fun. My bet is that the amp is PCB so doing any mod work is nearly impossible. Some options are:

- Get a good tube preamp and put that in front of the input to warm things up.

- If the amp has an effects loop use a tube preamp on the input to the loop return which hopefully goes straight into the power amp.

- Gut the amp and rebuild it as all tube.

Andrew

jimbob

EH has an awsome tube preamp i bought a while back.. i might be able to get another at a alot more reasonable price w out the tubes..you have to buy those..its the lpb2ube preamp--i never no one week to the next what i can get or whats even available...i put jimbobs hunting posts in the forums on thursdays though..youll just have to chk that out..

thats all i got--good luck!

jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"