Type of Resistors in a Wah Pedal:

Old School Carbon Comp Resistors
1 (16.7%)
New, Exact Metal Film Resistors
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 07:48:50 PM

seekup1982

I'm looking at making a wah pedal from scratch.  I'm debating whether or not to use an empty Dunlop shell or create my own.  But the biggest problem I've run into is finding a source for a 500mH inductor.  First off, is this a 500 micro-Henry or 500 milli-Henry inductor?  I know you can buy a "Halo" replica for like $30, but I'm wanting one cheaper and it doesn't have to be a replica of anything.  If anyone knows of a source for these, I'd be very appreciative.  

Also, what material are "tropical fish" caps made of, polyester film?

And I know this has come up before, but should I go with original 1/4watt carbon comp resistors or the "cold, harsh, computer grade" metal film resistors?  I haven't tried A/Bing them together, but I'd be interested in your opinions.

Thanks,
Ben
SeekUp1982 at hotmail dot com

phillip

The inductors are around 500 milli henries.  Sometimes they vary quite a bit...from 450 up to 600+ milli henries.  I think Steve Daniels of Small Bear Electronics sells the standard Vox/Dunlop inductor that's fairly cheap.  Stuart Castledine's hand-wound Halo and Stack of Dimes replica inductors eat every other inductor on the market for breakfast, though ;)

The tropical fish are metallized polyester film.  You can get capacitors that are very similar, if not identical, from Mouser.  I would highly recommend ordering the Mouser catalog...lots of good stuff in there if you dig through the pages.

I personally used 1/4-watt 1% metal film resistors in my Clyde clone because they're a tighter tolerance and less receptive to hiss in the circuit, unlike carbon comps.

Phillip

jimbob

As far as the shell goes..go w the dunlop--otherwise good luck!! the shell is ussually the hardest part, though im sure there are a few in the forum with other ideas..As far as inductors, i think if ya wanna go cheapSteve at smallbear has some cheap dunlop ones for  12.50?$$ youll have to double check at the last page of his stock--you want to spend money go to stuart castledine site $$$$ but great from what i been told..i heard theres nothing to support the whole tropical fish thing...

good luck...try the Forums trade/sell might find stuff there..i think someone has some trop fish caps there..

jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

gtrmac

I'm planning to gut my Vox Reissue V847 and put in a replacement PCB soon. I will use a Dunlop Fasel Inductor, Panasonic ECQ caps and 1% metal film resistors because this seems to be the best stuff available.

My feeling is that if you are going to all the trouble of building something why not spend a few bucks more and make it as good as you can.

R.G.'s article about carbon comp resistors confirmed what I read elsewhere. Except for a few locations in high voltage circuits such as tube amps, CC's mostly just add noise.

From what I've read the inductor seems to be the magic ingredient in the Wah not the caps.

The special taper of the pot contribute to the feel of the Wah also but my Vox has had several Dunlops in it so far and it doesn't bother me.

seekup1982

I'm aware of the Dunlop inductors, but I'm wanting something closer to 500mH.  I haven't tried the new Fasels.  I have two Italian wahs, one with a film can inductor and one with the old stack of dimes (non-Chicago) inductors and they both sound great.  The dunlops are definite crap next to them.  

I was debating on whether or not to try winding my own.  All you need is a iron core (like the EPCOS N30 ferrite) and like 37 AWG single insulated wire.  Then do you just attach each end to a post?  Does anyone know what an inductor actually does?  I've been reading RG's Tech of a Wah every morning before breakfast and I almost understand the first couple of sentences.

Thanks for all the help so far!  I'll try getting those metalized polyester film caps.

seekup1982

Also, does anyone have an reviews of the new Fasel inductors?  I haven't tried them yet, but if they're pretty good, I'll save some time and just use them.  Thanks,

Ben

Phorhas

Hi Ben...

A few things... :)

About the Halo replica - I FANTASTIC I use with my 535Q and it gives me a sweet whacka whacka vibe... I must say it was an exalent chooice. anout the resistor and caps - well a TONE and FEEL really comes from the inductor and trannys so I would go with metal res. and film caps, for best noise charecteristics and smooth oparation. For the trannys I'd try Bc109b/c or GE type for the first tranny and a nigh gain LOW noise for the second tranny - but I guess that with cases like that it's best to socket and find your own sweet combination

Dan.
Electron Pusher

WyldeSnake

Ahh, the 500mH inductor.  I made a wah pedal that used one of those, but the way I worked around it was to buy 3 plastic can inductors and put em all in series.  They added up to 480mH if I remember correct, and that was enough for the circuit.  Maybe that'll work for you.

brett

Hi.  I agree fairly much with the comment that transistors and the inductor are key components.  The other issue is the circuit type.  

Using MPSA18 transistors ensures very low transistor noise (you can get them from Small Bear cheap).

I like the JH-1 type circuit compared with the Crybaby (GCB-95) circuit.  Only 2 extra capacitors, but a whole lot better balance between mids and highs (the JH-1 has less highs).

The inductor certainly adds some magic of its own, but first I think the basics have to be right (good trannies, good circuit).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Fret Wire

Antique Electronics Supply has some real good prices for Fasel inductors, Fulltone Pot, and the Dulop J-H 470k pot. Just type in. "wah" in the search field. It's always been a good source for amp components and Jensen Reissues.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)