George L cable & Jacks ?

Started by Lonestarjohnny, April 06, 2004, 02:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonestarjohnny

I have used the G.L. Cable on my pedal board for some time, it work's great, and I could tell a big diff in the clarity of the signal when I switched out my old cable, I did not like his early jack's with the set screw in the side of the jack, I went to a Jam the other night and saw a guy useing the new jack's which have a cap that screws on the end of the jack retaining the cable, they looked very easy to use and really tightened up the layout of his pedal's, they look like they only stick out about a 1/4 of an inch which would give me a little more room on my small board, can anyone give some input on them about how well they work ? or has anybody had a bad experience with them,
Thank's,
JD

Fret Wire

I'm currently using them. I like them alot. I've had no problems with the cap screws loosening. The .155 cable seems small, but no sound problems. They come with the rubber caps to put over the ends once they're together. The kit comes with 10 jacks and 10' of cable. So you can make 5 - 6" cords with a set of spare cables, or 5 - 3" cords with 3 sets of spare cables.  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040405231247069166032191775680/g=guitar/s=accessories/search/detail/base_pid/153800/
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Lonestarjohnny

Thanks Fret Wire, I was a little bit worred about ordering them but now I guess I'll order 20 or so of them, I already have a spool of the cable but that's a great deal at M.F.'s,
JD

Fret Wire

You're welcome. You already have the cable? I don't know where to go for a good deal on just the jacks. But when you ad in the 10' of cable and the rubber caps, it's still a good deal at MF's.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Russ

Hi JD, I have used the George L's cable and jacks for years, and have never had a problem with any item. Their right angle jacks are the greatest invention since the shirtpocket. I called their facility a few years ago with a couple of questions, and actually spoke to George's daughter (who answered the phone). She was incredibly courteous, knowledgable, and helpful, and told me if I EVER had a problem with a George L's product (even a lost set screw) to contact them and they would do whatever they could to make it right. She was extremely proud of her father's business and integrity.
As a result of their excellent products and superior customer service, they will have my business FOREVER.

Just thought this was a really nice story.
Russ

travissk

I have the right-angle plug version and I agree that they're great.

The set didn't have enough for me to wire up all of my effects, so I'm also using some generic (Peavey branded generics at least) 6-inch patch cables. Therefore I can't really attest to how much GL's improve your sound over these, but they're very clean and easy to use.

jubjub

I put together a guys pedal board recently using GL's. What a pleasure they are to use. Trouble is trying to get them in the UK is a nightmare. The only thing I found to watch out for is once the jack hsa been fitted, don't take it off to show your friend how they work. You need a fresh cut to ensure nice contact when you put them back together.
Bloody marvelous things. And the abscece of solder smoke in my face was nice too.

aron

I'm going to go out on a limb and try the Bill Lawrence cable set. Very close in price too.

jubjub

Let us know how you get on with them. I'm always looking for great patch lead systems at reasonable prices.

AL

dosmun

The GL's are the only way to go on a pedalboard.  They take up a lot less space than other cables.  They can relly clean up a messy pedalboard.

nooneknows

I had the oppurtunity to compare George L cables and mine. Well, I swear I don't want to be the troll of the topic,  but I  have to say I don't find such a big difference. I use normal RG58 coax cable, no particular brand, really chep. If you have a bit of spare time, two economical jacks and 2-3 bucks give a try and let me know.
bye.

nightingale

i use the right angle .155's~
they are great.. but i do check them every now and then just to make sure the caps havn't come loose..
i use them on my board, and in/out of an echoplex..
price is right too!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

PB Wilson

I also use the George L cable and plugs and haven't had a problem with them other than one or two plugs coming loose. (I guess it's because I don't use a pedalboard since I swap pedals in and out as the mood strikes me.) Anyway, a little blue locktite does the trick without shelling out for the rubber caps. I seem to recall a guy on another forum show a picture of his plugs that he dipped in that rubber liquid that is used to cover tool handles. It looked like a good idea to me. Neat, secure and reversible.