runoffgroove ruby amp

Started by TheBigMan, April 06, 2004, 05:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigMan

Anyone tried this as a headphone amp?  The clips sound good and I could do with a little amp for late night use, but it's not very clear in the article whether or not you can use it as a headphone amp.

javacody

Add the attenuator of the Gem, and you can control the output volume and plug some headphones into it.

TheBigMan

I was afraid you'd say that.  I was going to build a Gem but I can't track down 25R pots anywhere in the UK.

BTW are you the same javacody that posts at the FIB?

B Tremblay

The Ruby design can be used with headphones with no changes, but will not have the same overdrive at ear-friendly volumes.  To have the overdrive (and hear it too), all you need to do is add the 25 ohm rheostat master volume control as mentioned above.

However, if you're simply looking for a clean headphone amp, then you can use it as-is.  I have a 386-based headphone amp (with input volume control and brightness switch, but no buffer) and any volume setting above 9:00 is too loud for headphones.  It's still handy for late-night testing of circuits, though.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

TheBigMan

Thanks!  I'll probably build one as is and then add a 25 ohm pot when I eventually get one.

RDV

I believe the honorable Peter of Snowburgh suggested that he got good results with a 500 ohm pot which might be easier to find.

Regards

RDV(cheap cap boy)

javacody

Yes, I'm a regular and a moderator at the FIB.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: RDVI believe the honorable Peter of Snowburgh suggested that he got good results with a 500 ohm pot which might be easier to find.

Regards

RDV(cheap cap boy)
honorable? :shock: :lol: ...in the voice of tweetie bird... he don't know me very well... do he? ;)

I use a 500 ohm pot in series with the speaker (no ground connection), but I don't know how that would do with headphones. It's worth a shot if you can't get the real 25 ohmer. I think the 25 ohm pot is a more elegant solution for an 8 ohm speaker. You might also want to try a 100 ohm pot in that position if you can find one.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

TheBigMan

Quote from: javacodyYes, I'm a regular and a moderator at the FIB.

Figured as much with the name.  I'm elfury.

BILLYL

I am using it as a headphone amp - as is.  Works just fine.  Yes there is not much overdrive but I can hook up a pedal and get any sound I need.  And as mentioned above it really is nice for late night work.

Thanks again RUNOFF GROVE

BILLYL

Peter Snowberg

Please pardon my ignorance.... but what is the FIB?

Thanks,
-Peter

B Tremblay

The Big Man beat me to it!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

RDV

Quote from: Peter SnowbergPlease pardon my ignorance.... but what is the FIB? Thanks, -Peter
"Fat Idiot Brother" It's how my brother refers to me when asked.

Regards

RDV

Peter Snowberg

Thank you. :D

Take care,
-Peter