Sonic Distortion won't distort

Started by Intru, April 08, 2004, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intru

finally I got the thing to work.
after frying an IC and transistor (connected the IC wrong, and the transistor was ecb instead of cbe) I now get some sound.
It is almost clean guitar, with little changes. It sounds some warmer and fuzzyer than normal. My first thought when I heard it was "the tone pot isn't open", but it was fully open.

Does anyone have any idea why this is so? I think that a sonic distortion shoud have some more... distortion  :roll:

Jay Doyle

We're going to need some more information.

Post the voltages on the pins of the transistor and opamp.

Also you should go through it with and audio probe.

After that post your observations and we can help better...

TheBigMan

It should distort all right, the SD-9 is NOT a subtle pedal.  If you get a gain boost but no distortion check the clipping diodes and related circuitry.

Intru

Here are the voltages of the IC and transistor:

IC1:
1:7,69
2:7,69
3:8,16
4:8,16
5:7,75
6:7,72
7:7,30
8:8,22

Q1:
e: 8,11
b: 7,68
c: 8,22

I actually think that this isn't what is should be, but I don't know much about electronics.

Jay Doyle

Quote from: IntruHere are the voltages of the IC and transistor:

IC1:
1:7,69
2:7,69
3:8,16
4:8,16
5:7,75
6:7,72
7:7,30
8:8,22

Q1:
e: 8,11
b: 7,68
c: 8,22

I actually think that this isn't what is should be, but I don't know much about electronics.

This is definitely not right. First off it looks like you have a solder bridge between power and ground, does your battery get hot? The ground connection on the IC has power on it.

Look for that first, check if the power supply filter caps or protection diode are shorted.

Something is wrong, big time, you just need to find it.

Intru

hm.. strange, i just measured it again, and got different (more reasonable) values.

IC1:
1: 7,84
2: 7,84
3: the meter started at 0,2 and slowly went down to 0
4: idem dito
5: 3,73
6: 7,80
7: around 4,1 (not stable)
8: 8,09

Q1:
e: 7,37
b: 7,37 (again?)
c: 8.06

When i first measured the C of Q1, it said it was 0, and some later it gave a normal value. I guess that there is some solder that isn't right, 'only' have to find it:)

edit:
When I connect it to my guitar & amp, sometimes 'works', but it also happens that it gives no sound at all (except for the sound that you get when you hit the tip of the jack with your finger, don't know the word for it. Only than I get it even when i just touch a pot or the printboard)

Intru

voltages are stable now, and a bit higher (replaced the battery).
when i try it now, there are 2 things that it can do:
Only give a litlle boost, but no distortion
Sound like hell, seriously, like there's a lightning storm inside my amp...
This even happens when i touch nothing, it just thunders away..

Can anyone help me? Or does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

jsleep

If you have clean sound and everything else seems to work (Drive Tone and Volume all seem to do something to the sound)  Then I would suspect that you have the wrong value cap in C7 or something shorting out in the D1, D2, C7 area.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Intru

I measured the diodes (didn't remove them from the circuit board).
And my multi-meter gave a value of about 600mV.