MXR NOS Busted need help...

Started by PeopleHateMe7666, April 09, 2004, 05:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeopleHateMe7666

Hey guys... i just got an MXR Flanger, and MXR Distortion +... FOR FREE!! theyre not working but hey thats not too bad for pricing eh eh?? well i need some help fixing them.... any ideas? the dist + is bad because someone plugged in the wrong power source adaptor, so what wuld be burnt out? the flanger god whos guess...

Fret Wire

Dist.+: What model? Reissue, or Block Logo? What type of dc jack. Look inside to see if there is a diode on the dc jack. How's the board mounted?

Flanger: What model? AC powered or small box Micro Flanger.

Be way more specific on: model, dc jack type , LED or no LED. Any holes drilled in bottom plate for battery clip ac adaptors?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

PeopleHateMe7666

ok ill try my best... the dist plus... its got an led its in a yellow box the AC adaptor input jack is right next to the input jack, it is dunlop made, so reissue... no diode off the dc jack that i see, the diodes on this board are under the distortion pot, two of them... its Rev C. if that helps... Dunlop Manufactoring Inc Distortoin + P/N CH71053 thanks for the help too dude... um the flanger only has a 18 power supply jack no battery, its no the micro langer it has manual width speed and regen controls nad yes led on this one tooi dont have the power source for the flanger so first i wanna fix the dist + but flanger help is appreciated and ill jsut save it until i can find a supply for it, its NOT the one with a cable coming out, maybe you attach that one the pictures ive seen has a striaght into wall type of cable this is a POWER supply on the flanger... the dist plus does work on bypass but (with GOOD NEW BATTERY THAT WORKS IN MY BOSS CS3 COMP) is dead on engaged

PeopleHateMe7666

nothing appears to be worn gin the dist + im assuming when theyplugged in the powersupply it burnt outsomething... what culd get burnt out? caps? IC is what im afraid of ;(

Fret Wire

Could have...first check the electro and LED right behind the dc jack. If a power supply was hooked up wrong my guess is that the polarity was reversed. Also, make sure the battery snap connector plug is orientated the proper way on the board.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

PeopleHateMe7666

the led works... :( msut be that dman cap.... so its the one inbetween the jack and the led...and im pretty sure the jack is fine..the battery clip while looking at the top the black neg is on the left if sotmp is closest to you and red is in the center, blank is on the far right near the end of the board... right?

PeopleHateMe7666

i dont have the tester tool i left it at my dads... how can i test that cap aswell

PeopleHateMe7666

i just ran a battery to a light and tested it thru the cap and it lit up:( god what do i do

Fret Wire

You're gonna need the DMM to trace where the problem is. Did you check the pin voltages on the IC yet? What exactly does it not do? Does signal pass through when it's off? LED light up? Cuts out when you stomp on it?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

PeopleHateMe7666

when bypassed its fine, when effect is engaged, there is no led, or sound, so besides hooking a battery directly upto the led, no lights what so ever, sound only when bypassed... do u have AIM? or AOL?

Fret Wire

You're gonna have to start from the power supply and trace on out. You know for sure it died when an improper power supply was hooked? Sometimes the switches go on the reissues. Yahoo IM.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

PeopleHateMe7666

PeopleHateMe7666

Hey i did the DMM, the trace from r9 to c7 and r3 when i did the trace on that i got zero volts i think that might be it, maybe the power source when hooked up was too much, say 24 volts and burnt out the trace or something.... i found a lil electronics store and im gunna tkae them the flanger cuz god knows i wont be bael to do anything with it.... on the dist plus this is basically closed unless anyone wants to give me tips on debugging this board... thanks to Fret Wire and his knowledge on the board, im making a Dist + board as soon as i can order the parts....

PeopleHateMe7666

does anyone have the schem for the dunlop mxr distortion + rev c??

PeopleHateMe7666

figured the dist + out... it was the resistor right next to the power jack... ok so FINE i fixed it.... well also the traces were busted.. so i jumpered them.. now the LED works... yipyy... so i go test it out.. NO SIGNAL THROUGH!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. so its on... effect is ON!!! yet no TONE!!!!!!!

Peter Snowberg

For the next step in your repair, I would construct an audio probe and follow the signal into the circuit to see how far it gets.

Best of luck!
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation