Purple Haze si Fuzz?

Started by Alpha579, April 10, 2004, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Hey all,
can i get that Purple Haze sound fuzz with a type of si Fuzz Face? Or doesnt it have the ge sound? Are there any roger mayer si pedals that will get me in the same neighbour hood?
Thanx for all help,
Alex
Alex Fiddes

Prive

With a Strat type guitar and a burning tube amp you'll be close enough i think.
Tthe si/ge difference is really subtle in that kind of situations.
Of course if you can afford a Super Lead marshall and the ge thing and a real fender strat, you'll be closer but if you can't do an A/B test you'll can't notice the difference.

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

Alpha579

Cool. Is there a Fuzz Face that eliminates the low input impedance problem of the original?
Alex Fiddes

brett

Hi.  The RM Axis fuzz does that sound quite well.  Or the Miss Piggy (at my site).  When nearly maxxed out they give plenty of gain and fuzz.
I feel that the germanium Fuzzfaces and easyfaces are a little "soft" for the wilder Hendrix stuff (Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Machine Gun,...).  

Of course, it's all a metter of personal taste.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Chris Goodson

I recall reading that he used Ge fuzzes early on, Purple Haze is from his first album......

petemoore

...An input buffer does the impedance up on a FF N/P, but will change the tone somewhat.
 FF's are tricksterz...they do neat tricks, but can be tricky to set up.
 The Miss Piggy, albeit slightly more parts and complexity to a 2 tranny FF, yields worthy results IMO,
 I just added the input blend cap and Pre-Gain control, these two make a great use of potentiometer purchases.
 I don't know that it can be out and out "beat'...stick a Chosen Ge in Q1 of Miss Piggy too...thing is, the ability to diddle with [gain or whatever it is the extra transistor does that reduces effective gain] gain of the transistors certainly makes it easier [IME] clean your face. Tends to make for reduced intermodulation Dirt.
 I figure if you're gonna perf a FF..why not make one that you can tune the tar out of it...it's what 'has to be done anyway...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Well you know I think there are two separate fuzz sounds on Purple Haze. The rhythm sound is probably a fuzz face(with the guitar volume down a little), but the solo is an octavia(octave fuzz).

RDV

brian wenz

Hello Hello-The first album is a germ Fuzz Face [ also, Hendrix used a Fuzzrite on some stuff...], and the Octavia.    Remember, too, that different amps were used in the studio [not just Marshall...]
Brian.

Alpha579

What other amps did he use?
Alex Fiddes

freeradical24

when i was googling for info on my dual showman,i read in several places that he had used one.i read on one site that he prefered this amp but used the marshalls because they were more durable.
but i wouldnt place money on any of that.especially considering the fact that i cant see how a marshall would be more durable than a fender.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Alpha579What other amps did he use?

I've read that Twin Reverbs were used in the studio a lot for clean.

Kerry M

Doug H

I'm guessing the purple haze rhythm guitar is octavia too. It sounds pretty messed up with those chords.

Doug

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Fender Twin Reverb in the studio.
Brian.