Question about wiring up vol. pot for bass fuzz

Started by stratking, April 11, 2004, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratking

Hey all and Happy Easter!  While I have the enclosure for my bass fuzz in the toaster baking, I want to finish up the guts.  The Bass Fuzz is pretty much done but I dont know how to wire up the volume pot.  When looking at the back of the pot with the three lugs facing the left, I have a 47uF cap connecting the bottom and middle lugs.  I'm not sure if I need the cap there or where I should wire up the top lug in relation to the circuit.  

Thanks,

stratking[/url]

lightningfingers

when looking at the back of the pot with 3 lugs facing the left, the circuit out put should goto th top lug, the output jack should go to the middle and the bottom lug should go to the ground :D
U N D E F I N E D

stratking

Ok, dumb question, I see how it wires up, but does the pot come before the switch or after??

petemoore

Had to think for a second...I do it like this: Looking at shaft...
 I just turn the vol pots shaft 'up' clockwise toward a lug, that lug will be connected to wiper when the knob is turned all the way up, so that would connect to cct output.
 Then turn the knob Down CCW all the way toward a lug, that lug would connect to ground.
 The Middle lug on most Vol pots [wiper] connects to output switch or jack.
 Get one backwards just reverse the outside pot lug connections.
 Gain knobs are different.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Travis

The volume pot almost always goes before the switch.  The pot is part of the circuit, and you will want to be able to switch it out when you bypass the effect.

stratking

Alright, I am still having problems connecting everything up, the circuit works but when I try to add the switch, vol. pot and jacks, and circuit.  This here is a very artistic representation of how I have everything wired up.

stratking

petemoore

Good enough to tell if you've miswire there.
 other than that I see N/P..
 Best advice I can say is take your DMM beep mode, and use the jacks cables and switch lugs, just test each different connection, that Gnd's to ground and signal to signal and Not to ground..etc.
 I like to go from the tip of the plug to the input lug of the switch to the input of the efkt...same with the output cable...  .... ....
 It looks like your running the power through a stereo jack, two lugs should be connected with the mono plug in it, [that's where the power connection is made/broken] the other is the signal connection.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

downweverything

i think you need to ground that other lug of the volume pot otherwise its just a series resistance.
and on my blue 3PDT the switch should be rotated 90 degrees.  if its not working that jumps out as a problem.  (i think you may be using the poles as throws and the throws as poles)
otherwise looks good as long as you hook the led ground after the ground break/switch on the input jack.