Overpriced stompbox...

Started by Hal, April 14, 2004, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

http://www.tophatamps.com/wonderboy.htm

:-D gotta love the pedals made by "boutique" amp companies.  Sounds kinda cool....but worth $300 ?

Seems like it would work well pushing their own amps.  They sound amazing for bluesy stuff, but can't really drive too hard....(played one at GC)

petemoore

Classy looking, and a goodly amount of bells and whistles..I personally would not want to be the one responsible for producing a perfect model like that for 300...I think I could do better with a day job anyway...Looks like something I'd build for myself...Two switches, a slew of knobs, even an extra SPST or two...I just finished one like this, pounded out the top and sides from amp frame sheet material, By the time you get everything in there...battery, LED indicators, all that ends up being very nice to have for longtimes, but is alot of 'messing' to pack it in there.
 Thing about anyone elses stuff...well if they want to come over and spend countless hours tweeking to my satisfaction...nope...still I would build my own.
 Still sorta half on the hunt for a Boss DS-1...I've gone the full gamut of pedal stuffing...now I'm back looking for a 'lowly' DS-1...lowly is a misnomer..I think Ppl envision a 25$ new pedal as 'cheep' when Actually I believe Boss was simply 'giving them away' as a starter to get Ppl into Boss stuff. Anyway when I get one on the super cheep [under 20] I'm gonna Mod tar from it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Looks like another Fulldrive 2 clone...sans the tone control

Phillip

Doug H

I think $279 is pretty reasonable, esp for something that is basically two pedals in one. It's a nice looking build.

Doug

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If anyone sees pedals that are too CHEAP, please post :D

gtrmac

Quote from: phillipLooks like another Fulldrive 2 clone...sans the tone control

Phillip

Tophat says:

"There is an FET clean boost section with boost adjust control, as well as a 2-gain stage MOSFET overdrive with a Drive and Output controls."

So I guess it's a new design.

jimbob

Nice looking build! I dont see how any boutique effects builders can actually make it these days. Competition, price, ect...I love doing this but man--thats gotta be stressful--SOOOO many threads on this topic ill leave it alone,

Question- How or what do u think he used to  decorate the top? paint? sticker? any ideas..i want mine looking even better- and i dont plan on selling mine--just showing them off and playing w them.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

wampcat1

Quote from: jimbobNice looking build! I dont see how any boutique effects builders can actually make it these days. Competition, price, ect...I love doing this but man--thats gotta be stressful--SOOOO many threads on this topic ill leave it alone,

Question- How or what do u think he used to  decorate the top? paint? sticker? any ideas..i want mine looking even better- and i dont plan on selling mine--just showing them off and playing w them.

It's actually a sticker, I have one here right now.

:)

MartyMart

Looks quite nice, but there were some fantastic "cheap" overdrives on Ebay last week, dont know if they're still on, "Dean Markley Overlord III" for 45 US bucks shipped !!
Fantastic overdrive, even better at that price, if you see one grab it, they are great boxes, warm/crunchy solid steel case too !!
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

travissk

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)If anyone sees pedals that are too CHEAP, please post :D

Overdrive: Boss SD-1, Dod Juice Box
Distortion: Dod Classic Fuzz, Boss DS-1
Dano Fish n Chips EQ (the mini one)
Possibly some of the Arion stuff, like the $15 phaser at MusiciansFriend.com :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks Travissk.... now let's see some cheap ones in Australia (not holding my breath)  :D

travissk

Oops, I forgot you weren't from the USA there... I thought music equipment and effects were expensive enough before I learned what everyone else has to pay :(

george

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Thanks Travissk.... now let's see some cheap ones in Australia (not holding my breath)  :D

not wrong there Paul, I often wonder why prices for music gear in Oz are so inflated.

Even allowing for variations in exchange rates, a lot of times you can get stuff shipped from the US cheaper than you could buy them here, even including freight and GST ...

Get this: about 6 months ago you could buy a USA strat from the US (secondhand on eBay) for under $AU1000, including paying $US150 for shipping ... go figure why they're about $1200 -1300 on Australian eBay without shipping ...

it's about time oz music consumers woke up.

Alpha579

$279? i dont think its worth that much...But then again, it does look nice, and its made by tophat...

Most 'handmade' pedals are overpriced now-adays. Just last christmas, before i started going on this forum, i begged my mum and dad for a 'crispy cream treble booster' for $169. Looking back, i could have made a rangemaster for a third of that...kids will be kids...
Alex Fiddes