Cab Sim shootout?

Started by keko, April 16, 2004, 02:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keko

so..my next project is a simple cab sim...why?...I don't know.

I already have an etched board for the AMZ cab sim, and a drilled one (I drill, then etch) for the Marshall Cab Sim.

What about those? What about Bulldog, or Runoffgroove's Cab Sim?

Please Please share ALL your biased opinions about either, or all of them. Be descriptive. Be sarcastic. Be honest.

(Actually, I'm thinking of building two in the same box and then feed a Ruby with them; and would like them to be rather different.)

Thanks.
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

Gilles C

I wanted to build another one, beside the Marshall Sim that I already built a few yers ago.

... But 2 days ago, I bought a Behringer ultra G direct box with a 4x12" cab sim.

I needed that one, and I will compare the next cab sims I will build to that one...

Both the Marshall and the Behringer seemed to be very clean compared to the Bulldog.

RollingElbow

Lets resurect this topic.. anyone have any updated ideas on what the best CAB sim would be? Listening to them (or what i have been able to listen to) soo far, it seems like that LXH2 is the better of all of them. Anyone tried running a diff distorion circuit through just the cab portion of the LXH2? This would interest me for direct recording. The behringer cab sim is not sold in Canada due to some licensing issues.. also the behringer analog amp sim (fender/mesa/plexi GDI box) box i find noisy and not that great and even with a software cab sim, it isn't soo hot. So i was thinking of that JCM800 emulator but need to find the best cab sim.

bancika

I built Marshall Cab sim (the one with no pots and two ICs) and it works very nice
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

RollingElbow

MartyMart

ROG Condor , very nice sim :D
Marshall , different also the two opamp version.
Joe's simple sim - works fine and simple it is !
Behringer GDi has a great 4x12 sim in it , Jason Roth ?

I favour the ROG and the Behringer

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Gilles C

Quote from: RollingElbow on August 25, 2006, 02:51:02 PM
Lets resurect this topic.. anyone have any updated ideas on what the best CAB sim would be? Listening to them (or what i have been able to listen to) soo far, it seems like that LXH2 is the better of all of them. Anyone tried running a diff distorion circuit through just the cab portion of the LXH2? This would interest me for direct recording. The behringer cab sim is not sold in Canada due to some licensing issues.. also the behringer analog amp sim (fender/mesa/plexi GDI box) box i find noisy and not that great and even with a software cab sim, it isn't soo hot. So i was thinking of that JCM800 emulator but need to find the best cab sim.

Which Behringer is not sold in Canada??

Gilles

fxdfxd

Quote from: RollingElbow on August 25, 2006, 02:51:02 PM

As soon as my LXH2 cab sim will be built, I'll post a comment !
(I was planning to make the cab sim section only, to test different preamps)

-fx

RollingElbow

As far as I know, the Ultra G is not available here.. i tried ordering on line and the caption stated that the item could not be sold to my location. It also is not carried in any of the Ottawa music stores... maybe i can find it in Montreal!  ::) Either way i remember hearing some soundclips and didn't think it was that great. The ones on here sound much better.. than again, i think that whole LXH2 sounds amazing. I am very tempted to try it but think maybe i should try the thunderchief or JCM 800 through the marshall cab sim first. Listened to the Brown sound in a box off of GGG and didnt think too much of it.. thought it was a little flabby and buzzy on the lower strings. The LXH2 however, sounded killer. 22 opamps or not, there is prob a reason for that many components.

bluetubes

I have an Ultra-G (GI-100).  Bought it @ Musicstop here in Canada.

RollingElbow

Then i suck! no other logical explanation.. strange though that it wouldn't let me order it online. What province are you in?

krille2

Well, if you're gonna build the LXH2 cabsim, I think you should start from right after the voltage follower after the LF boost (chunk & damp), think it is op amp 15. The cabsim will then consist of 19 op amps if you count in all the dips (5) and peaks (8) MFB op amps. Personally I just love it, however rather timeconsumig it was to build. I still find myself with a big smile every time I plug in, I think it records better than my old Marshall  :icon_eek:

RaceDriver205

QuoteCan you post a soundclip?
If you go to www.tothemax.web1000.com and go to "FX Demos", and go down to the bottom to the delay clips - those three were recorded using the Marshall cab sim directly into the computer. It works DAMN good.
QuoteThen i suck! no other logical explanation..
Lol! Thats a hoot! Next time one of my mates say they did something dumb, im so telling them that!  :icon_lol:

Gilles C

I bought my Ultra-G in Quebec city.

If it's sold here, it must be sold everywhere in Ontario  :D

Gilles

bluetubes

Newfoundland of all places...lol