18V POWER SOURCE? how?

Started by jimbob, April 16, 2004, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

My new mxr m 108 eq needs a 18v power source and i cant find one-- i thought about using 2 batteries togather than conn that to a plug to conn to the effect. Problm is i went by the diect. on the diy faq and there are no pics..i re read many time and still dont really get it..can anyone show/draw how to connect 2 batteries togather to get 18volts- from there ill solder the leads to a plug to fit into the jack..

this is all untill i can get a new one from dunflop mfr/mxr

thanks all

jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

phillip

Jim, Danelectro makes an 18V power adapter...it's the same type as their DA-1 "zero hum," it's just an 18VDC output instead of 9VDC.  We ordered some for some people when I worked at a guitar store, so a local guitar store should be able to get them.  The Danelectro model number is "DA-2" and they cost about $13 or $14.

Phillip

Mark Hammer

Will it take batteries or does it need to use an external supply?  Some pedals require so much current that they simply omit a space for batteries.  Although batteries can certainly be wired up to sub for an external DC supply, the odds of any reasonable battery life is pretty slim - generally, if batteries will quickly croak, manufacturers steer users away from them.

If you ARE game until you find a supply, simply take a pair of normal battery snaps, solder a black lead from one to the red lead on the other.  Now solder the remaining red lead to the positive/hot terminal on the plug that goes into the wallwart socket, and the black to the negative/ground terminal.

When pedals will use either internal batteries OR wallwarts, the plug/socket is almost always oriiented such that the external/shaft conductor is positive and the internal/tip conductor is ground.  When pedals use ONLY wallwarts (i.e., no battery compartment)  it's a bit of a crapshoot.  Since the plug does not have to bump a contact out of the way to switch over from battery to external power, the manufacturer can elect to use either the outside OR inside conductor as pos/hot.  I can't tell from Dunlop's literature which orientation this one is.

The manual for the M-108 (http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/mxr/products/m108.html) does not specify power requirements, but indicates use of their DC Brick power block as a possibility, which can supply up to 208ma., and provides no hint of battery operation.  The presence of 12 LEDs in addition to the EQ itself suggests that wiring up a pair of 9v batteries will not last the afternoon, my friend.

If you can't easily score an 18v supply,one thing you can do is to score a higher voltage supply (e.g., 24vdc) and use a 3-pin regulator to bring the voltage output down.  18 volts is a standard regulator value.  I have a whole stack here, and I'd gladly send you one or two if it didn't mean you waiting a week.  Just note that 3-pin regulators come in 100ma and 1000ma varieties.  While I seriously doubt the pedal would need anything as exhorbitant as a half amp, it is quite possible that a 100ma variety might get warm, so go for the bigger one.  The price difference is likely pennies anyways.

jimbob

thanks guys!!I doo need a 18v power supply! 12 leds! didnt think about that! Im probl going to go the danelectro route 18v..i assume thats work.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

products
ECB-04 Barrel 18V Adapter

Quote18VDC @ 150mA 5% regulated 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm + Barrel negative center

Sale Price: $14.99 Guaranteed Lowest Price - not bad but does it go with it?

i got this as a reply from dunlop:

Thank you for your e-mail. Please note that the part number for the adapter
is ECB004 and it costs $23.97.  You may order direct from Dunlop, however,
we charge full list price plus $6.25 for shipping on all orders

Is ecb-04 and ecb-004 the same?..im thinking so..there is another 18v that is 1.0a--ecb-06

anyway- think ill go w the danelectro --its 11.99

does the "ma" part of it make a difference? 18v 150ma v/s 18v 1.0

Mark Hammer

I'm no expert, but it stands to reason that if you need , say, 3ma per LED to light 'em up, and a 7-band EQ can often be powered with 10ma from a battery, then 150ma @18v should be sufficient to power this pedal.

jimbob

I finally bought the  dunlop adapter 18v ..14.00 $not bad really..now i need a damn 15v for my Tonebone british dist effect!!~awsome reviews there --not that i would know..cant try it w out the power source!