My Soundclips Page Is Up

Started by Paul Marossy, April 17, 2004, 03:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

For anyone who is interested, I have my soundclips page up now. This has soundclips for most of the things that I have built thus far, save a few. Also, there is some clips of a few commercial pedals.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Sounds/StompboxSoundClips.htm

Keep on rockin'  8)

Gringo

Hey Paul, the only clips i could hear are the .wav's. The mp3'sound really low, i had to crank my stereo just to hear a "whisper" :(

Is anyone else having this problem? I'd really like to hear your stuff :)
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Paul Marossy

Hmm... that's odd. They sound fine if you have speakers that use batteries to boost the sound. I tried not to make them too loud, like I did with my tube overdrive sound clip. Most soundboards have two jacks for speakers. Have you tried the other jack?

Anyone else have this problem?

MartyB

Great page Paul!    For as much discussion about pedals as there is, it's cool to have more sounds!  BTW my downloads were L-channel-only mono.

8)

Gilles C

Not really a problem here.

And funny thing, the WAV files I tried seemed lower than the MP3 files. :shock:

Paul Marossy

Left channel only mono, huh? I get sound out of both speakers... weird!
A few of the soundclips are a little bit low compared to the rest, but for me, they are all loud enough to hear well.

I made this page because an email buddy of mine told me that I should have soundclips for all the pedals that I have built. So, four about 6 months now that has been nagging at me. I finally just broke down and did it. Yeah, there ought to be more sound clips out there, huh?

A few of the .wav files were actually recorded a few years ago by miking my amp with one of those computer microphones, so I didn't set the recording level too high, because I didn't want it to clip the signal. They actually don't sound half bad. They also show how much better my technique was a few years ago...  :oops:  
But, I think I have finally found a balance between builidng stuff and playing guitar. I need to practice more than I have been, that's for sure.

Marcos - Munky

Thanks to share them with us. I didn't heard them yet, but there are some soundclips of effects that I really like to know how they sound.

petemoore

Thank you for preparing that for us !!!
 I like the dense info contained in pics and clips...a clip is worth a thousand words, too.
 The YJM sounds very clean...I've never tried one per se' Just 250's and Dist+'s, Blue Clippers, and new Clippers...also never tried a Coron 10...but they are so close there, schematic-wise.
 I have more work and necessary items to obtain before I can post clips.
 I posted a pic once using Yahoo !!! Now I can't even find them...lol !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gringo

It turned out i had a loose wire at the left channel aux input  :evil:

Now i can hear them allright, thanks for recording them!
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Aharon

Aharon

downweverything

the levels are fine for me but there are definately ones with left channel only.  no big deal, didnt distract me at all.

Peter Snowberg

Very nice Paul! 8)

Thanks for putting that up. I'm always curious about hearing distortions with tone stacks added. :D

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

Everyone:

Glad y'all could get something out of that.  8)
I guess they turned out OK having recorded and uploaded all of those in one evening. I didn't normalize anything because I wanted the playing dynamics to be heard for full effect.

That's weird about the ones that are in the left channel only. I don't think any of those clips do that for me... I think that maybe the first few that I converted from .wav files, I might have had a setting wrong or something.

EDIT: I listened to my soundclips again, and realized that all of them were mono (of course, that's how I recorded them!?) and only in the left channel. Since I was recording in mono, I didn't notice that sound wasn't coming out of both speakers. It sounded like it was, though! So, I reconverted them so that sound comes out of both speakers now. The files are uploading as I am writing this...

Gringo:
Glad you found your low output problem.  :)

petemoore:
That YJM-308 clone sounds pretty good in this sound clip. It does get kind of nasty sounding when you turn the distortion all the way up, and it sounds pretty rough to me. It can get way more distorted sounding than that clip.

Peter Snowberg:
I almost always add tone controls to things. I like the added versatility it gives and sometimes I may feel that maybe the distortion is too rough for my taste, so the tone control can smooth things out.