RM Axis Fuzz Transistors

Started by Bluesrock, April 17, 2004, 10:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesrock

Hi!

I wonder which type of transistors were used in Jimi's fuzzes build by RM. Were it 2N3904 & 6 like the current production? Were those available at that time? Or could it have been a BC109 and it's complement?

Btw; this circuit sounds great!

Best regards,
Koen

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   The Axis circuit was designed around European 2N3904 and 2N3906.
Using other trannys will screw up the sound.  Also, using cheap Radio Shack trannys will not yield great results, either!    I've used Fairchild trannys that sounded o.k.  [Check out the other "Axis" thread that's  being posted now on the forum!]
  [By the way, Hendrix used the Axis circuit from around 1969 'til his death.  The Axis circuit was installed in his Fuzz Face shells!]
Brian.

Bluesrock

I see!
Thanks Brian, you seem to know alot about this subject!
I'm from Europe and I think the tranny's are Siemens-it sounds good anyway! What I particularly like about this circuit is that the wha in front works with it; I always wondered how Hendrix coped with a wah + FF AND make the wha work! But now I know he in fact used this circuit... Do you know on which shows he used a FF or an Axis? I own quite alot of recordings, I'm curious to hear the difference.

Best Regards,
Koen

brian wenz

Hello Bluesrock--
    Two pretty good examples are the  Band of Gyp.  and Isle of Wight.
Also, anything that Hendrix was using Gibson guitars on [Flying V or SG] was the Axis circuit.   [Pretty much anything from '69  'til ghis death was the Axis.]
Brian.

phillip

I wonder if some transistors that are known for excellent audio quality, like some of the European BC-series (108, 109, 209), would sound better in there?  I'm not familiar with the BC-series PNP counterparts however.

I still need to source some BC209 and mess with those...never had any!

Phillip

petemoore

BCxxx transistors [I tried a 108 and a 109] not only work in my Axis, I was tempted to leave them in there, for the gainy sound, but also caused more of the 'overgain' [slight choking] on lower notes hit hard, which can be really cool if it's half way under control, but can turn into a 'mudsponge' efkt. with high gain transistors sometimes too easily.
 I havent tried my pigsocket...a dual IC socket, wired to hold two transistors and a resistor that I use to find the combo. I load the pigsocket with piggybacked transistors and emitters resistor, the plug that into the transistor socket on the board...find something I like I solder the two tranny's and resistor  together 'airstyle' and plug that directly in.
 Seems like a couple 'pigged out BC's, or a BC and a 'reg.' draw transistor might do well in an Axis.
 Anyone try a GE in Q1 yet?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   I originally suggested dropping the 47K [to 27K or 22K] to get rid of the "woofiness"  on low notes at higher fuzz settings.  [This works really well for humbucking pickups.]    Bear in mind, all of my experience with fuzz and booster pedals comes from playing them in a live band situation using tube amps.   Transistors with higher gains defeat this purpose.
Awhile back, I removed the 47K res. and installed a 50K pot in it's place..............this seems to be a great mod for fine-tuning the pedal to different guitars with different pickups.  [Best of all worlds!]   With a volume, fuzz, and now, a "bias" control I get all kinds of tonal and fuzz combos with a minimum of "woof" on the low notes.
Brian.

Bluesrock

Brian,

I do notice a change in sound from the '69 (LA Forum, Woodstock, BOG) to the '70 (Atlanta, Berkeley, Rainbow Bridge, Wight)  recordings. To me the '70 recordings are way brighter and the fuzz often sounds 'constipated' or 'farty'. I always thought that he was using a Silicon FF in '70; the RF-interference made me think that too. On the other hand, the '69 recordings are much darker sounding. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Best Regards,
Koen

Doug H

Quote from: BluesrockBrian,

I do notice a change in sound from the '69 (LA Forum, Woodstock, BOG) to the '70 (Atlanta, Berkeley, Rainbow Bridge, Wight)  recordings. To me the '70 recordings are way brighter and the fuzz often sounds 'constipated' or 'farty'. I always thought that he was using a Silicon FF in '70; the RF-interference made me think that too. On the other hand, the '69 recordings are much darker sounding. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Best Regards,
Koen

Well, I don't know what Brian will say here but I can tell you the axis is a brighter fuzz than the fuzz face, for example. When you roll off your guitar vol or turn down the fuzz control, it gets a middy-bright kind of "vintage" overdrive sound that is real nice too. I would guess JH got his BOG rhythm tones with the axis too.

Doug

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Yeah, BOG was ALL Axis.  I'm not really sure, but most of the stuff from '69  through '70 should have been Axis, but then again he used all kinds of different stuff in the studio, too.   I'm also pretty sure that he started using the Axis circuit in late '67   [BEFORE the "Axis Bold as Love" album} but also used a regular si Fuzz Face in the live shows.
[ Doug's comment about adjusting the volume control on the guitar and changing the fuzz control on the Axis pedal reminded me that it's real easy to get a tight,  crunchy fuzz  OR [with the twist of a dial...]  a huge, mushy, spongy-almost-too-bassy-and farty sound.  I'm sure this accounts for much of the variation in Hendrix' on-stage tone.]
Do you guys have the Isle of Wight video??   You can here the difference in his tone as the set progresses  [using the same Strat].   Things actually get better when he uses the Gibson Flying V for "Red House".
Even with using the exact same guitar -and -amp- and -pedal  set up  it's
almost a given that your sound could change dramatically from gig to gig.
Things get even more whacky when you enter temperature, humidity, mood swings, etc. etc.  into the equation.  Hendrix used different amps from gig to gig, too, so the tone on live recordings was different all the time.   [OOPS, forgot to mention  those pesky 9 volts!!]
Then, there is always the fact that at any given time Hendrix would have Roger Mayer tweak his pedals for some different sound......
[That's one reason I'm curious to see how this 50K pot mod in my Axis is gonna allow  day-to-day adjustments of the "flubb factor"  in the bass response of the pedal...]
Brian.

Bluesrock

Hi! Great subject!

These are my observations:
Axis Bold as love was recorded for the major part in the second half of '67, with RM present at alot of sessions and released in dec '67 in the UK. I surely hear the axis fuzz on that album!
The Si fuzz was introduced somewhere in '69, so by the time Hendrix used it, it could have been '70.
RE: Isle of Wight video: If I recall correctly, when Jimi takes the V, he makes a few adjustments on the amps. Presumably he turns back the volume a bit because of the higher output V and to prevent things from becoming too muddy... I could be wrong though!

Best Regards,
Koen

johnabraham

I have seen it mentioned here about Jimi's live use of a SI FF and the Axis. How can anyone be sure as to when he used what??????

Bluesrock

The use of the axis fuzz is documented in several books, most notably in Jimi Hendrix Sessions (or what's it called???). Aside from the original Axis album I have bootleg recordings from these sessions which illustrate for example the 'compression' the axis makes... You hear this isn't a FF.

As for the use of the Si FF in '70; that's my assumption, based on the change in tone I hear on the live recordings from '70 vs those from '69... It's brighter, with less bass, just like my Si FF!! There's also prominent RF interference and the Wah that doesn't work too great with the FF (it's beter with a Si FF then with a Ge FF, but it's still bad!).

But I admit, I don't KNOW!!

Best Regards,
Koen

RedHouse

ROGER MAYER SAYS:

Developed in 1967 for Jimi Hendrix' desire for greater tone "colors", Used extensively on the "Axis: Bold As Love" and the "Band Of Gypsies" recordings.

The Axis Fuzz was developed in early 1967 to give an additional series of tone colours for Jimi. This effect is named after it's most famous use on the title track of the album "Axis Bold as Love". It can also be heard extensively on the "Band of Gypsies" and various other post 1968 recordings by Jimi. Electronically the Axis uses a discrete circuit configuration that is completely unlike the simple and crude Fuzz Face configuration. Both PNP and NPN silicon low noise transistors are used in an unique configuration that is temperature stable, free from radio interference and producing more output level and sustain than the Classic Fuzz.

http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/axis.htm

Bluesrock

Brian, I just listened to the Berkeley show again, and I must say that it sounds like the axis fuzz!! It's sounds brighter than BOG, but perhaps this is due to different speakers he was using (the JBL Lansings?!).
I'm going to listen to the Atlanta show next...
How's that new 50k pot working out?

Best Regards,
Koen

RedHouse

Slighly off topic, but when I built my RM Octavia I noticed the first half of the circuit was identical to the Axis Fuzz, one can actually build the RM Octavia add switching to bypass the section with the transistor/diodes and get two effects in one! badda-bing-badda-boom.