"little gem" amp

Started by hair force one, April 20, 2004, 04:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

--------------->
build around a GL386, no volume pot, 2x16 ohm 1 watt speakers saved from junk. a very rewarding build, thanks to runoffgroove.com

jimmy

oh my god

thats awesome

i put one in a milo tin once. reverb eau naturale haha

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

B Tremblay

Very nice job!  I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the Little Gem.  It's one of my favorite "minimal parts count" circuits.

Thanks for sharing the photo!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Mark Hammer

Love the 2 x 12" cab and the metal baffle-board, although I don't know how loud a 386 is going to push those cones.

BTW, where on earth did you find a Boss pedal that big?

nirvanas silence

Quote from: Mark HammerLove the 2 x 12" cab and the metal baffle-board, although I don't know how loud a 386 is going to push those cones.

BTW, where on earth did you find a Boss pedal that big?
I think those are more like 3" speakers. :D

Peter Snowberg

HFO, you are a true artist! I love it!  8)  8)  8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm I have an 8W oval speaker lying around... Could make a mini cab out of that :roll:

Nice job HFO!
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

tplyons

Quote from: hair force one--------------->
build around a GL386, no volume pot, 2x16 ohm 1 watt speakers saved from junk. a very rewarding build, thanks to runoffgroove.com
I was looking at that build... approx how many watts would you say that puts out?
\m/ Timothy Lyons

hair force one

Runoffgroove says half a watt, datasheets gives 0,7 W for the lm386-n3  and 1W for lm386-n4.
Puting it on my desk, gain on max, and playing in front of it is not something i'll do for hours :x .
I've tried 4,8 and 16 ohms HP and kept the lasts for they were louder and grinder (one of them sounds like a grilled butterfly).
The all thing is built raw, from wood, nails and stainless steel gathered in a shanty. I'm sewing (!) false white leather on it right now, gaves it a nice little face.  

mark Hammer: building a one foot long DS-1 or TS9 is one of my many projects (this will never end!!!!)

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Alpha579

that is the coolest looking amp ever lol! ive got this wee 10cm 2w 18ohm spker, and im gonna make it look like that! If only i had the skill...(turns green with envy...)
Alex Fiddes

Mark Hammer

puretube

Quote from: Mark HammerCheck out mine.  http://ampage.org/hammer/files/T-tone.jpg

LOVELY !

gorohon

All of you guys got me so excited about these little 386-based amps, I went ahead and built the runoffgroove ruby amp.  I put it in an altoids tin, used trimpots for the gain and vol.  I'm suprised.  I hooked it to my big combo amp's three 10" speakers, and it sound's big--it has no problem driving them.  I'll have to try the little Gem MkII next, as well as add another LM386 in parallel for my ruby.  I'm guessing that I could do that by adapting the MkII's design to the ruby.   I'll have to steal a digital camera and take pictures of my ruby, so I can show it off.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.

hair force one

added the lil black&white pic of the amp in white leatherette. Sew for the first time in my life something else than jeanjacket buttons! The thing drives well my Sunn O))) combo's speakers.

Mark hammer: very fine indeed to do the "hound dog" upon granny's coffee table... I'm thinkink of build-in rocker/amp pedal to play with the speaker's back sound, could be nice (but first gad finish Surf-Wha, Guitar synth,...)